What is the Best Way to Deal with People After Rhinoplasty?

I'm a 17 year old male who is unhappy with my nose and I'd love to get a nose job when I turn 18. I'm just afraid what people I know will think after I get it. I don't know a single person who has gotten a nose job and I'm afraid I'd face ridicule from my peers and those around me fro getting one. Around where I live getting a nose job is looked down upon as a feminine thing to do. I don't know if this is a common concern among patients or not. What is the best way to go about dealing with this?

Male rhinoplasty is common.

+2

Rhinoplasty by far is the most common cosmetic surgical procedure for male patients. Nearly 1/2 of my rhinoplasty patients are men, so you are by no means unique in your desire for nasal improvement! When performed correctly, rhinoplasty removes nasal deformities and it enhances, making the nose fit one's face by improving facial proportions. Rhinoplasty should never make a male look more feminine, or a female look more masculine (unless of course that is the desired outcome, as is the case with transgender surgery).  Rest assured, a good surgeon will make your new look a natural appearing one without any "operated" characteristics of bad nosejobs.

And if you are STILL concerned what others might think, say what so many rhinoplasty patients say- "I had a septoplasty because I couldn't breathe." Find an expert in your area who you can discuss rhinoplasty with and by all means take advantage of digital imaging so you can preview your rhinoplasty before you even commit. 

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Teen rhinoplasty

+1

Your posted photo shows oversized tip cartilages so having the surgery would not be unreasonable. The procedure is not feminizing if the masculine nasal characteristics are not altered. I was 18 long before you were born and I don't even remember the names of most of my peers at that time. Your nose will be with you for life, those peers will not. Someone who ridicules you after you have a reasonable procedure that makes you feel better about yourself is not a friend and should not be a peer.

Rhinoplasty, nose reshaping surgery, is the most common cosmetic surgery performed on American teens. Over 30,000 teens a year get nose jobs in the US. You are not alone. The problem here in southern California is too many female teenagers have the surgery and compare notes so overdone surgery is what they want. It has to look operated on enough to be accepted by female peers. No surgeon can help you deal with peers. Your best bet is to reach out to other teenagers who have posted to realself.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Male rhinoplasty recovery

+1

A  het least one third of our rhinoplasty practice are men,  so it is a very common procedure performed. Due to the prolonged healing time with swelling, most  people do not detect that someone  has had a nose job. Some male patients will grow a beard or mustache which is a common way to camouflage results of the nose during the healing process.

+1

A natural result through a closed approach can usually be appreciated in 2 to 3 weeks or so.  As the remainder of the swelling goes down over a year or so, people will adjust as you change.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Dealing with People after Rhinoplasty

+1

Over the past 35 years I've done rhinoplasdty surgery on many male patients and continue to do so. If you select a rhinoplasty specialist so you achieve a natural result people will not notice.

Considering a rhinoplasty for a young male

+1

People can be very opinionated about cosmetic surgery both for and against.  If your family is behind you then you are ahead of the game.  A rhinoplasty will not change your life but it will make you more confident.  You are young and it is not unusual to have feelings of insecurity.  

+1

While you say you don't know anyone that has had a rhinoplasty, it is more likely that you know people who have but are not aware that they've undergone the procedure. Male rhinoplasty is very commonly performed and is nothing to be ashamed of. You can tell people what you choose to. You could suggest that you had a breathing problem or that you bumped into a door and needed a procedure to be performed, if you wish. If you can, 7-10 days to recover will ensure that you are well on your way to healing. I think you would be surprised how few people would recognize that you've had a procedure performed if you had adequate time to heal and didn't reveal that you had a rhinoplasty performed. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

If your nose job is done properly only your closest friends and family will know

+1

Thank you for the question.  I suspect that more people that you know have gotten a nose job.  If it is done properly and you do not remember the appearance of their nose from before you will unlikely know that they had a nose job.  If and when you do undergo a nose job just be confident that it is a way to improve a part of your appearance that bothers you just like anything else.  Its not masculine or feminine, its just a solution for a particular issue.  I would not try to hide it or deny it.  You dont have to go out and share it directly but if anyone asks you should just be honest and confident about your decision making process.  If you also have breathing issues you could also state that you were not breathing well and had corrective surgery to repair it.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty for male patients

+1

rhinoplasty for male patients

this is one of the most common operation for men especially younger men like yourself

it is often best to do this at a break in your schedule such as summer vacation or between

high school and college.  a small untruth such as breathing problems or previous broken nose correction is not too bad of an idea but should not be anyones business.