What is the Best Way to Deal with Capsular Contracture?

I had silicone implants under the muscle to correct tubular breasts 8 months ago. I now have capsular contracture baker grade 3 on the left for the past month. Now my right breast is starting to feel tight like it is now developing cc also. Does this mean I am going to have this problem over and over? I was going to schedule Surgery to fix the left but should I wait to see what happens to the right? Would it be a lower risk to get it again if I just switch to saline implants? Thank you

Capsular contracture often does not come back.

+3

Hi.

1)  The most common causes of capsular contracture are some blood around the implants or sub-clinical infection at the time of the original operation. ( This is specially true for Class III or IV contractures.)   So if these problems are avoided during the revision, you may well not get CC again.

2)  Using Alloderm definitely helps prevent CC.

3)  I would not do anything for several months, to see what happens in the right breast.

Correction of Capsular Contracture of Breast Implants by Fat Transfer is the newest most promising technique

+2

Capsular Contracture around Breast Implants following Breast Augmentation has traditionally been treated with Surgery. The Capsular Scar Tissue is removed and new breast Implants are placed. Typically Textured Breast Implants are used as Textured Implants have been shown to have less risk of Capsule formation. Although Saline Implants in the past have had less risk of Capsular Contracture when used initially, once a capsule has formed the chance of a second capsule forming after second surgery is close to 50% even with Saline Implants.

Exciting new results have been achieved most notably by Dr Sydney Coleman in New York by treating Capsular Contracture with Fat Transfer which is injecting your own Fat around the implants.

This is certainly less invasive and the results that I have seen have been impressive.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Polyurethane covered implants are the best prevention.

+2

Dear lady, I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am afraid to tell you that replacing your implants with saline ones is unlikely to help, as several studies have shown no difference in frequency of capsular contracture with either silicone of saline implants, and there is even no real difference between smooth or rough implants. 

The only implants that have a proven preventive action against primary or even recurrent capsular contracture are the ones covered with a polyurethane film. Unfortunately for you these implants are not available anymore in the USA, although they have been used a long time in the eightees and early ninetees. 

I have been using these implants for 10 years and the results are good, the incidence of capsular contracture remains very low. The implants come in many shapes and sizes, so they can be used to replace virtually any other implant.

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture and Revisions

+2

I am sorry to hear about your problems with capsular contractures after your breast surgery.  Unfortunately, no one is completely certain why contractures occur.  There are many theories out there-the hottest being the relationship between Biofilm and breast implants-but again, no one really knows.

While in the past, studies showed a significantly higher rate of capsular contracture with silicone-gel filled implants, newer studies using the newer generation of silicone-gel implants do not seem to support this finding.  The contracture rates are not significantly different between silicone and saline filled implants.

You mentioned that your implants were used to help correct your tuberous breasts. You did not mention where your incisions were placed.   Many surgeons will use the around the nipple incision with tuberous breasts in order to correct the herniated, enlarged nipple-areolar complex and also use this incision for placing the implants.  There is some data suggesting a higher rate of contracture if this incision is used when compared to the under the breast incision.  If you are going to undergo a revision with removal of the implants and the capsule, you may want to discuss with your surgeon using a different incision such as the under the breast incision.  

What is the probabilty that you will again develop a capsular contracture after your revision is difficult to say.  Most studies do show a higher than average rate for developing a capsular contracture in patients who have already had a contracture but the majority of these revision patients do not have a reoccurance.

I wish I could be more precise but there is so much about capsular contractures that we do not know.  Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Also discuss with them your worries about your opposite right breast and the possibility of an early contracture developing.

Good luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced. Capsular contraction can be a very frustrating complication for both patients and surgeons.  In my practice, I have found the most success treating these difficult problems utilizing techniques such as sub muscular pocket conversion (if relevant), capsulectomy, use of fresh implants, and the use of acellular dermal matrix.  Acellular dermal matrix is a biologic implant that carries the ability to become integrated into native tissue. It is made by taking a full thickness section of skin from a donor source ( human, porcine, or bovine in origin).  I hope this, and the attached link ( demonstrating a case utilizing acellular dermal matrix) helps. 

Capsular Contracture is a Surgical Problem

+1

Hi there-

Unfortunately, and while we do not know the cause of Capsular Contracture, there is no effective and safe way to produce improvement without surgery.

Accolate did show some promise in the past, but has been abandoned by most experienced breast plastic surgeons because of the significant risks associated with its use.

Some surgeons have noted unpredictable degrees of improvement in patients with mild contractures after external ultrasound, but again, the improvement has not been universal or dramatic.

Your best bet is to have the problem managed surgically.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

+1

If capsular contracture is caught early, you can sometime treat it with drugs, like Accolate, and aggressive massage.  More more advance cases like yours, you would need to have surgery to remove the capsule and change the implants.  Many times a capsular contracture does not recur.  In you case, you should have both breasts treated at the same time.

As far as switching to saline, there is no evidence that there is less capsular contracture with saline compared to the current silicone implants.  There is some evidence that a periareolar incision has a higher risk of capsular contracture, so you may want to make sure you have an incision under the breast for your revision.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Capsular contracture

+1

If you have a capsular ocntracture in both breasts, you are better off dealing with both at the same time. It is unclear why they develop.  There are several theories.  Sometimes removing the capsule and replacing the implants does the trick and sometimes it doesn't.

Capsular contracture

+1
Unfortunately, you have developed this problem, which is more prevalent when the circumareolar approach is used. No one knows why certain patients are more likely to form capsules than others and you have already progressed to a grade III contracture within 6 months of your surgery. It does sound as though a capsule is beginning on the right side as well. There is no data indicating that capsular contracture varies based on whether the implants are silicone or saline although, when a patient with saline implants does develop a capsule, I frequently offer the option of silicone implants during the re-operation. I would recommend that you discuss your options with your plastic surgeon. Alloderm is a reasonable product to use under these circumstances.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Cc

+1

This can be a frustrating problem and I agree with Dr. Lund. I will only add that using a dermal replacement product (allomax, fledHD, dermagraft, the list goes on) has shown to be very beneficial in treating capsular contracture with low recurrence rates. Talk to your surgeon.

Michael Hueneke, MD