On the 6th day after upper eyelid surgery, are blurry vision and dry eyes normal?

I can see fine out of one eye but the other eye feels scratchy and dry and gets tired easily if I try to read. Also Vision is blurry in that eye. Is that normal? How long should I expect these symptoms to last?

Upper Eyelid Surgery, Dry Eye and Blurry Vision

+1
After eyelid surgery, it is not uncommon for patients to experience the symptoms you are having especially if you are prone to dry eyes.  The surgery causes some swelling and further decrease on the tears from the tear gland (lacrimal gland) located in the outside portion of your UPPER lid.  The tears that the gland makes wash over the eye and are collected in the tear duct area in the inner eyelid area.  If you make inadequate tears then your eyes get dry.  This stimulates a hyper tear production response and you get too much tear fluid made causing a blurring of your vision.  Typically, the treatment is using a tear solution but you should check with your surgeon that this is what is going on and not something else.

I hope that helps.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery sx

+1
Vision is normally not affected after eyelid surgery.  Most commonly, some ointment that is placed in the incisions works its way to the eyes and makes vision blurry.  A scratchy feeling or feeling of sand in the eye may be from a corneal abrasion.  You can treat this is with ophthalmic ointment placed frequently on the eye to allow it to heal. This should resolve in 1-2 weeks.

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Yes,nn these can be normal.

+1
I typically see my post operative patients one week after surgery.  If you have such a visit with your surgeon, I encourage you to discuss your concerns.  They should be able to evaluate why you are experience blurred vision.  However, if you did not have surgery with a fellowship oculoplastic surgeon who is also a board certified oculoplastic surgeon, then they may not have the necessary equipment to evaluate your eyes.  If that is the case, consider being seen by your ophthalmologist to learn what the basis of the blurred vision is.  Generally it is caused by drying of the cornea and aggressive used of artificial tears may be indicated.