What is the Danger of Losing BB for Tummy Tuck Revision. My PS Says Don't Worry if Will Be Healed After a Month.

I had a TT about 3 years ago and there is some uneven and lax skin above my BB. My PS thinks the best way to correct is to cut the bb (keeping the existing BB hole) and stretch the skin down towards the pubic area. He tells me that he can't move the BB downward and has to detach it. He says the only downside is that it takes few weeks to heal and I shouldn't worry about infection!. Does this makes any sense?.

Tummy Tuck Revision?

+1

Frankly, it is not clear to me exactly what was done before and what the current situation is,  making it difficult to give you any meaningful advice. I would suggest further consultation to address your questions and concerns;  if still doubtful a second opinion may be helpful.

Best wishes

Tummy tuck revision

+1

Your question is difficult to answer without knowing a few more facts and examining you and/or seeing photos.  Did you have a full tummy tuck (with insertion of your BB into a new position)? Did you have a mini-tummy tuck with no BB manipulation? Did you have a mini tummy tuck with a sliding BB transposition? The answers to these questions will help to determine the potential risk to your BB after further surgery.  If you had a full tummy tuck and currently have a circular scar around your BB, you could in theory undergo a similar procedure to the one you already had.  The incision around the BB would be reopened, the BB would remain attached to the abdominal wall with its blood supply, the supra-pubic incision would be reopened, and the skin would be elevated as far up the tummy as needed to stretch the upper abdominal skin.  Because you may not have enough skin to pull the current BB hole low enough to remove, you may end up with a small vertical scar (the size of the umbilical opening).  If you had a mini-tummy tuck without any BB manipulation, then a full tummy tuck might be a good option for you.  Be cautious if you have had an umbilical slide procedure, cutting around the BB now could jeaprodise the blood supply and lead to healing issue.  Visit again with your board certified plastic surgeon, have him/her draw out the options. He/she will likely resolve many of the concerns/uncertainties.  Best of luck Dr. Renucci

John Renucci, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon