How Should the Cut Be Done (Middle of the Nipple or Around) for Inverted Nipples Revision Surgery?

I had surgery for inverted nipples(1st degree). Cut was made in the middle of the nipple. Now it is 4 months from surgery and nipples are still inverted. The doctor will try to correct it again. What should I pay attention when asking him for method used for 2nd correction?

Best Incision for Inverted Nipple Surgery?

+1

It is the nature of plastic surgery to have multiple different approaches to  treat the same clinical situation. For inverted nipples, it is my preference to use an incision under the nipple in order to avoid a scar on the nipple itself. The incision under the nipple does allow for division of lactiferous ducts that are responsible for tethering the nipple inward. Generally this incision under the nipple heals very nicely.

Hopefully you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon;  I would suggest that you communicate your questions and concerns directly to him.

Options of Skin Incision for Inverted Nipples

+1

Although there are a number of incision options in correcting inverted nipples,  in most cases, I prefer to use a small curvilinear incision around the lower base of the nipple.  This skin incision is well hidden and allows good access to the shortened lactiferous ducts via a small dissected tunnel.  Check with your surgeon to see if this approach may be an option in your case.  Best of luck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon