What is the Curtain Method That is Used for a Tummy Tuck So U Dont Have a Long Scar?

Short scar tummy tuck

+1

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I have never heard of the so called curtain tummy tuck.  Based on the other answers by my colleagues, it sound like an attempt to achieve a comparable result to a standard tummy tuck with a shorter scar. Unfortunately, most of the time these procedures are long on promises, but ultimately a dissappointment, so I would be skeptical, do your homework, see photos of the procedure and results, and get more than one opinion. remember, if it sounds too good to be true....

Length of scar for tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. The curtain method drapes the skin on your sides towards the center of the tummy in an effort to shorten the scar.  The bottom line is if you have a lot of extra skin, then the skin can be removed and a plastic surgery closure during tummy tuck can be performed. I recommend you focus on the location and quality of the scar more so than the length. The scar will be as long as it needs to be to get rid of the extra skin. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Length of scar is less important than QUALITY of the scar!

+1

For an example of a poorly-performed tummy tuck where the surgeon tried to keep the scar short and "gathered" the skin towards the center, you should click on the link below, which includes photos a patient sent to RealSelf for help with her problem. Read not only my answer, but the others my colleagues posted.

I'm not sure who is marketing the "curtain" method, but I am certain it is no substitute for quality plastic surgery performed by an experienced ABPS-certified plastic surgeon. Patients often fall prey to looking for the "latest and greatest and up-to-datest" "new" fad procedure, often with a catchy or gimmicky name that some surgeon somewhere has decided to market as if it is some proprietary technique that only he or she can perform (often "pioneered" by that very same surgeon, and often one NOT certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery). Unfortunately, sometimes even ABPS-certified plastic surgeons want to bypass years of experience and become the go-to self-proclaimed next-best-thing in plastic surgery by trying these marketing ploys. Sad. Wrong.

The length of the scar is dictated by the vertical height of tissue to be removed, and the biophysics of skin stretch and contraction while healing to yield the best scar with the least chance of dog-ear (requiring re-do surgery and a longer scar to excise the dog-ear)! Go see several ABPS-certified plastic surgeons and look at their results. Unless your bathing suit or underwear does not go completely around you, the position and quality of the scar is much more important than the length! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

The short scar for tummy tuck

+1

There can be an effort during tummy tuck to draw the skin to the center of the abdomen to reduce the scar length, and to avoid a 'dog ear' at the incision end. The technique is limited by the amount of skin  laxity and skin elasticity. If the issue is forced the skin may pucker or wrinkle centrally. It can help keep the incision shorter, or just as long as necessary.

Peter Johnson, MD

Curtain Method for Abdominoplasty

+1

I am assuming that what you are referring to is the gathering or bunching of the excess skin in an attempt to make the incision shorter.  While this may work if you only have a small amount of excess skin, it tends to look pulled and wrinkled if you try to bunch up too much skin.  Unlike fabric, skin cannot be pleated, just bunched. 

If you have a really significant amount of laxity, I find that you achieve a better long term result with a slightly longer scar.  While I know that every patient wants to minimize the scar length, I have seem more unhappiness from bunched up scars that don't completely flatten than I have from the scar being a little longer.

Donald Griffin, MD