What is the cost of rhinoplasty/deviated septum?

I have had several breaks to my nose as a child and was never taken to the hospital or Dr. I went to a surgeon about 25 years ago and the Dr said she fixed the deviation, however she explained she didn't bother to straighten it because it wasn't covered. I still can't breathe very well (improvement from that surgery was about 25% improvement..not bad but not great). Would I be covered to have it fixed and reshapen a bit? Do you think there would be any coverage at all under MSP?

Depends Where, when and how much

+3

Sorry, i wish I could answer this. I am in Ottawa, Canada so obviously things are different. Here the government pays for a Septoplasty, but the Cosmetic component is not covered (obviously). If you have a "Crooked" nose on the outside, that is typically not covered as it usually has no effect on breathing and its considered a Rhinoplasty, thus you often have to pay for that out of pocket. I'm sure it would be similar in the USA. But best to check with your insurance, physician.

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Any aspect related to how the nose looks is rarely covered by insurance.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Cost of a rhinoplasty/ deviated septum

+2

When a deviated septum is blocking airflow and it has been documented as a medical necessity, then that component of the surgery his billed to the patient's medical insurance. In the United States, co-pays and medical deductibles will apply. Cosmetic rhinoplasty is not paid for by insurance, and our price list and rhinoplasty photo gallery are located on the link below

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty cost

+1

Surgery to improve nasal breathing is normally covered by insurance.

Even though you've had a prior septoplasty it may be possible to improve your breathing further with revision surgery. It also may be possible that other issues are contributing to your nasal blockage. An examination by a facial plastic surgeon would help pinpoint what is going on exactly.

In the meantime you can read more about septoplasty at my web reference link below.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyinseattle.com/functional-rhinoplasty/septoplasty