Is This the Correct Procedure for Correcting an Overbite?

What is the reason for bonding on the back molers? I can't chew my food without hitting my bottom teeth. As you can see I also have braces. Thank you

Bonding on back teeth can speed up treatment with braces

+3

Often times, bonding is placed on the back teeth during treatment with braces to speed up treatment and improve the final results.  The bonding opens up the bite so that the teeth may move more efficiently and not become "trapped" by opposing teeth.  Also, the bonding can help to improve the relationship of your lower jaw to your upper jaw.  The bonding will be removed before the orthodontic treatment is complete.  

Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Bumps on my molars

+2

Temporarily putting a  bump of glue on the back molars to "open up the bite" is a common procedure used in orthodontic. Usually if your bite is deep and you are hitting the lower braces with your upper teeth, this procedure is used. once the bite opens ( could take a few months) then the bumps should be removed.

San Diego Orthodontist

Bonding on the back teeth can help treatment

+2

The bonding on your back teeth have lots of different names (bite turbos, etc.), but the goal is to disclude your teeth (keep them from touching) and help treatment. 

Even though they may be uncomfortable they are serving a few important purposes:

• They unlock your bite to allow your teeth to move quicker
  • They keep you from bitting off braces (if your teeth would touch the braces when you bite down)
  • They allow your orthodontist to shape your smile efficiently (I don't want to get all technical, but they can help him create a smile arc which is what you want)

Don't worry they won't be on there the whole time and I don't think anyone has been lost to starvation yet ;)

Allentown Orthodontist

Correcting overbites

+2

technically, upper front teeth sticking out too far is an overjet.  Most of the time when this happens the front teeth overlap too much which is the actual overbite.  To fix the overjet you need to first fix the overbite which normally requires braces on all the back teeth.

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Opens the bite, prevents bracket braekage, short term, 3-6 months

+2

the material is a temporary cement, used to help open the bite faster and prevent brackett breakage.

It will self disolve in 3-6 mos

Tampa Orthodontist