Is This the Correct Juvederm Placement?

So I had a consultation about juvederm for nasal lobial folds. I know the placement is usually right in them, but since a 100+ lb weightloss 8 years ago I have some loss of elasticity in my cheeks & under eyes. She said she would inject volume into the cheek, & the volume would fill out the area & lift to diminish the nasal folds. Does this sound correct? I do want the cheek filled out, better I really want the folds gone too.

Fillers and cheeks and folds

+2

Fillers can be placed into deflated cheeks to lift them a bit and soften the nasolabial folds as well. Filler placed directly into the fold also helps to soften them.

Juvederm placement to improve nasolabial folds

+2

The nasolabial folds can be improved by injecting them directly, although in some cases, it is quite reasonable or even preferred to fill out various aspects of the cheeks and in front of the ears so as to improve the nasolabial folds with a more natural appearance. Make sure you're seeing an expert injector such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and you'll be in good hands to get the best results and safety possible. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Nonsurgical Facelift with Juvederm or Filler

+2

Weight loss and subsequent loss of volume can be a major contributor to the stigmata of facial aging. I agree with the opinions that restoring volume to the midface, cheeks and under the eyes would likely give you the results you are looking for. By replenishing this volume, some of the effects of a midface and facelift can be obtained and lift out the deep folds around the nose and mouth. I have also used fat grafting in these areas to obtain the same effect with more permanent results. Best of luck!

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm in cheeks

+2

I agree wholeheartedly with your doctor's recommendation.  Very thin women who inject only the folds often accentuate the area around the mouth giving you a simian appearance.  You can inject both areas, but I agree that the cheeks are first priority if your budget doesn't allow for both areas.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

A Liquid Facelift with Juvederm can help the nasolabial folds

+2

Traditionally, Juvederm have been used to treat the nasolabial folds by injecting the filler beneath the folds to plump them.  This method is very effective but it is not the only technique.  When people lose volume to their midface, the cheeks fall and hang over the nasolabial fold, making it deeper.  Fillers, such as Juvederm, can be injected in the under eyes and cheeks to restore volume.  As the volume is restored to the midface the cheeks are better supported, sag less, and hang less over the nasolabial fold.  This technique has been called a "Liquid Facelift," and can help improve the nasolabial folds without actually injecting in the folds.  That being said, if it is just the folds that bother you, you may be better off treating the folds directly.  If a more global facial rejuvenation with filler is your goal, a liquid facelift with Juvederm may be the prefered option.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is This the Correct Juvederm Placement?

+2

This is a perfectly sound approach. I explain this to my patients in the following manner. Often the nasolabial folds deepen due to volume loss and descent of the cheek. By placing filler directly in the fold, you're hoping to "push" the cheek up. That just doesn't work especially if you've had alot of volume loss in your face. I will typically put some Juvederm in the fold to fill it but most in the cheek to provide some augmentation to the cheek and "lift" the cheek. That does work and can counteract, to some degree, the pull of gravity that causes drooping of the face over time.

I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Where to place Juvederm for nasolabial folds

+1

Filling the folds themselves is helpful, but restoring the volume missing from the temples, cheeks, and jawline actually helps resupport skin and "lift" the sagging away from the nasolabial fold.

I routinely use multiple syringes to rebalance the face. Results are fantastic!

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Placement

+1

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you have a significant loss of volume in your cheeks and resulted in sagging skin and more pronounced nasolabial folds which is typical given your significant weight loss. the newest technique does involve filling both the cheeks and nasolabial folds for a lifting effect that is also very natural. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in injectables for an evaluation and for the safest and most effective treatments. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

What is the best way to correct nasal labial folds after weight loss?

+1

Given the fact that you lost over 100 lbs, you have no doubt lost facial volume in your cheeks too. It is common to just treat the nasal labial folds, but I believe a better correction would be to include volume replacement in your malar cheeks too.  This will restore a more youthful "lift" to your face. Which would be more aesthetically pleasing!

Sam Naficy, MD

Diminishing nasolabial folds and hollowness under eyes and cheeks

+1

Injections of a filler into the cheek will indeed lift your entire cheek and reduce nasolabial folds. Fillers can also be injected into the nasolabial folds to add volume and diminish the fold. This can be done with juvederm, however I would recommend radiesse instead. Radiesse is a thicker filler, and better for larger volume augmentation. Nonetheless, if you are very hesitant about getting a filler, you might decide to stick to juvederm as it can be disolved afterwards, whereas radiesse cannot.

Cheek injections will not reduce the hollowness under your eyes however. For that I would recommend restylane injections. Like juvederm it's a soft hyaluronic acid, but it absorbs less water than juvederm and so is less likely to cause puffiness under the eyes.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD