What can be done when too much fat was taken out above the eyes and below the eyes?

What can be done when too much fat was taken out above the eyes and below the eyes? Is there a more permanent procedure than fillers? If not, what is the best filler? I've just turned 50 and my surgery is 1.5 years old and I guess the swelling has only now just completely diminished because my eyes look completely different. They literally look smaller. I've always had big eyes, so I'm not sure how fat makes your eyes appear bigger? Anyway, my eyes are also stinging and it feels like the area behind my eyes has become very dry. I wake up with very dry eyes and it takes awhile to be able to see clearly in the morning. Also, my eyes now get tired out. Are there surgeons who would specialize in this in the Kansas City area?

Revision Eyelid Surgery

+2

There are several factors which contribute to the changed appearance of your eyes. I perform revision eyelid surgery in New York routinely for patients who are unhappy with results from other doctors. Specializing in oculofacial eyelid surgery in NYC, I can share with you the importance of properly performed primary surgery. When revision work is necessary the "golden rule" is to restore the anatomy so that the eyelids look good and function well to protect the eye. You may have exposure of your eyes at night from lower eyelid retraction. You should be comfortable and confident in who you choose for your procedure. Besides eyelid surgery surgery, your options for fillers include hyaluronic acid fillers and platelet rich plasma (PRP).

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers and fat grafting are your best options to reverse a blepharoplasty that removed too much fat

+2

Unfortunately this is a common problem in patients that had over aggressive fat excision during a blepharoplasty.  As our knowledge of aging has improved, I believe that fat conserving or repositioning is the technique for the best long term results.

What you are describing is hallowing around the eyes.  This can be improved by placing a filler around the eye to replenish the lost volume from your surgery.  I prefer to use Restylane in this area.  Restylane will last about 1 year in this area.

Fat transfer is the process of taking fat from one area of the body and transferring to an area of the face to replace lost volume.  It is best in areas where the skin is thick.  The skin around the eye is extremely thin and fat grafting in the area can be tricky.  Since the skin is so thin, there is a risk of irregularities if the fat is not placed perfectly.  Fat is difficult to remove if there becomes a problem.  Fat will last longer (3-5 years) but due to its risks, I prefer to use fillers in this area.

If your eyes are dry, they may not be closing completely.  This can be dangerous as it may lead to drying of the eyes, corneal abrasions, and possibly blindness.  I would see an eye doctor immediately to make sure that your eye is not having these issues.  

I hope this helps

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon