What is the best compression garment to wear after a tummy tuck?

I had a tummy tuck 3 1/2 weeks ago! My doctor is having me wear spanx which I like cause they are comfortable and I can get a size bigger too! I see many other girls whose doctors are having them wear compression garments! My question are they helping to illuminate swelling! Do they aid in the final result of your surgery! If so,, what brands do you recommend!

Compression Garment After Surgery #tummytuck

+1

There are so many on the market. I like either a standard abdominal binder or a garment that is designed for tummy tuck surgery. Marena or Veronique are both good brands. You can look them up online.

Compression Garments

+1

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said I usually have my patients wear compression garments for approximately 2 weeks post op. After that period, the garments are not necessary. There are many manufacturers of compression garments. I have used Veronique and Contemporary Design. I would recommend contacting your surgeon and ask why he is still recommending that you wear a garment after three weeks post op.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Compression garments for tummy tuck

+1

Now that you are almost a month out from surgery, you probably don't need a compression garment anymore. I don't think that there is any great scientific evidence that the compression garments really make that much of an improvement on the final result of the surgery. They might improve the amount of swelling that you have in the first few weeks. But that is probably about all. I give my patients a Velcro binder made by Caromed, but there are lots of manufacturers that make good compression garments. Most of my patients like the binder because it gives them a feeling of stability and security (i.e. feels less uncomfortable is they have to cough or sneeze). But I only make them wear it for the first 2 weeks. After that, they can wear it only if it makes them feel more comfortable.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon