The Compression Garment They Placed on Me After Surgery Did Not Cover All Areas That Were Treated W/ Lipo. Should I Worry?

I am very black w/ red marks and swollen in those areas (lower hips) It is very painful in those areas. Should I be concerned? What can I do to help with the swelling since the garment isn't compressing it well enough in those areas? I had full abdominoplasty w/ muscle repair & lipsuction of the hips/flanks.

Compression garment after liposuction

+2
Some physicians do not use garments after liposuction. Each doctor has their own protocol for wearing garments and for how long. You should rely on your surgeon for their preference since you trusted them with your procedure. Alternatively, you can get a girdle or comparable garment, spandex, Lycra, etc. that covers the area if you are really bothered by this. In either case, the swelling will gradually resolve over time.

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Garments and swelling after lipo

+2

Dear Scandia Blu,

just get Spanx or a similar brand at any Walmart ot Target store. buy at least 2, so you can rotate them.

shower every day, massage and hydrate the skin after with your favorite moisturizer.

you can also purchase at your local pharmacy a battery-operated massager and start massaging yourself several times a day. ( less than 10 $ )

or purchase a hand-held ultra sound device ( Amazon ) and massage yourself too.

For all my patients after lipo, I recommend they drink 2 liters of ( diluted ) Gatorade per day, and walk 2 miles a day for the next 2 weeks post -op. combined with a high protein diet.

in my experience: " 2 weeks bruising, 6 weeks swelling "

good luck

Florence Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

Compression garment after liposuction

+2

Although many surgeons use compression garments after liposuction to reduce swelling and aid in skin shrinking, there are many that do not. I think the swelling will go away in time and massage will help that. I do not think you will have anything bad happen without the compression garment, it is just maybe a little more time for the swelling to go down.

Julio Garcia, MD

Compression garment

+1

It is difficult to say what is right for you without an exam. If you feel the compression garment is not fitting appropriately, then you should see your doctor and get evaluated.

Garment Suggestion after Lipo

+1

The lipo garment provides support and many say they are more comfortable with those treated areas covered. Do you have any elastic girdles that would cover? If not, you can go to a department store and purchase Spanx or something like it. We normally recommend people switch to that after a day or so wearing the tighter and less comfortable garment that we supply.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon