What Are the Complications W/ Removal of a Thin Silicone Nasal Implant 1 Month After Dorsal Reduction? (photo)

During a closed rhinoplasty reducing a dorsal hump the Dr inquired re: using a very thin silicone piece to counter "bumps on the sides". The resulting implant extends the length of the nose to an uncomfortable point. Post surgery the Dr explained he sought to counter a drooping tip. What are complications ie contraction at the tip/ alterations to the underlying cartilage as the surgeon claims there will not be any side effects. Should I seek other opinions pre-removal or have it out asap?

Silicone implant

+1

If the implant is bothering you, then you should have it removed.  It usually is  a fairly straight forward procedure.

Uncomfortable with silicone implant

+1

Generally, I would advise against taking an implant this soon, as further surgery at this time could make matters worse. However, if the implant is causing physical discomfort, it may be important to remove it immediately. Your first step should be to schedule a follow-up appointment with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. He or she will be in the best position to make a recommendation for addressing them.

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

What Are the Complications W/ Removal of a Thin Silicone Nasal Implant 1 Month After Dorsal Reduction?

+1

Did you consent to insertion? I would remove and replace with a fat graft or fillers or allow to heal than re inspect. 

Silicone Implants

+1

Hi,

If the implant is giving you discomfort or doesnt look right, then you should have it removed. It can be done relatively easily even as an in office procedure.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Silicone implant in nose

+1

Removal of silicone is not a problem if the cartilage underneath was not removed or changed during surgery. The nasal skin will usually retract back to normal. The person who can best answer the question is your surgeon, he knows the size of the implant used as well as other work done under the splint.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon