Are the Complications Less for Mommy Makeovers That Involve Breast Lifts Instead of Implants?

About what percentage of mothers who have a breast lift are satisfied with the longevity of the procedure?

+1

I try to do breast lifts only when necessary since they add a good deal of scarring and expense.

If we can fill out a mildly drooping breast in a pleasing way, many women are then happy to do their own lift with a nice bra.

If we absolutely must do a lift, then it has been my experience that patients are MUCH more accepting of the scars and MUCH happier with the final result if we place an implant at the same time.

It is true that the implant brings its own complication risks. However, the implant adds the upper fullness which a lift alone cannot achieve, and allows patients to be much happier with their results.

Good luck!

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift longevity

+1

There will be permanent improvement from a lift.  This can be compromised with significan weight changes.  In these cases some revision may be required.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Longevity of results

+1

I tell patients that no procedure gives permanent results, but typically a person will look better many years after surgery compared to not having any cosmetic surgery at all. The results certainly diminish and your 1yr. result is not your 20 yr. result. Not using implants simplifies the situation, but does not change the duration of your satisfaction

Michael Hueneke, MD

Mommy makeover complications with and without breast implants

+1

If you need a breast lift and don't want to be bigger or fuller in the upper pole, and if you have enough breast to sculpt a nice result, it is best to avoid an implant becasue the long term problems will almost always come from the implant and not the lift.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast lift vs Implants

+1

I think in general both types of patienst are usually very satisfied.  If a patient needs a lift they are usually satisfied with the result and the same goes for breast implant patients.  This is because in discussion during consultation alot of time is spent discussing the different issues.

Breast Lift or Breast Implants?

+1
The answer to your question is unknown. Although there are studies that quantify patient satisfaction and complications, these studies are mostly single surgeon single technique results. There are many surgeons and many techniques for breast lift. My advice: Go for the result you want, and find a good surgeon. Complications may occur with any procedure, but a good surgeon will guide you, and minimize the complication rate.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast implants add issues and considerations both positive and negative

+1

Your question is interesting as an intellectual one but not necessarily one for reality. That is, if someone really wants the best result for breast rejuvenation and an implant is indicated, then this should be performed if they want to achieve that result. If they will settle for less because they don't want to deal with implants - that is their choice.

Implants do add additional issues to breast rejuvenation that are not present when skin tightening alone is performed. However, they do add size, firmness, youthfullness, allure, etc. that may not be available when only degraded skin and atrophied breast tissue is present to otherwise work with.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Complications after Mommy Makeover?

+1

Thank you for the excellent question.

In my opinion complications are less frequent with breast operations that do not involve  breast implants. Therefore, I advise my patients that if we can “get away” without breast implants (and still achieve their desired results)  it would be in their best interests.

In other words, there are a whole host of possible complications associated with breast implants that can be avoided if breast lifting without implants is performed. Of course, it is also important for patients to be pleased with the results of surgery (for example achieving upper pole breast fullness is important for some patients).

In regards to the longevity of the breast lift operation,  this will vary from patient to patient depending on factors such as genetics, skin elasticity quality, future weight gain/loss/pregnancies  etc. I do inform all my patients undergoing this procedure that breast lifting in general is not a “permanent” procedure and the further surgery may be necessary in the future.