What Are the most Common Asian Eyelid Surgery Complications?

Of these complications with Asian eyelid surgery, how often is a follow-up surgery needed later on? How can someone reduce the risk of that complication? 

Common complications after double eyelid sugery

+1

A certain degree of asymetry can be expected with any eyelid surgery. This is the most common concern with double eyelid surgery as well.  Often the upper eyelid fold will appear slightly higher on one side than the other and this can fluctuate with post operative swelling. This usually settles with time . Revision surgery can be necessary but is not the norm. The best way to reduce the risk is to choose an experienced double eyelid surgeon.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid complications and how to avoid them

+1

The most common complication are asymmetric eyelid folds, multiple creases, loss of crease, scarring, damage to the muscle that opens the eye, etc. Asymmetry is very common. Prevention is the key and getting it right the first time is paramount. Follow up surgery should not be common after this procedure. You should find a surgeon that has a low revision rate in the area of 5% or less. This is not common though. You want a doctor to listen to your needs, this is perhaps the most important.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery complications

+1

The most common undesired result is unevenness of the two eyes. This is usually caused by slight asymmetry of the eyelid-opening muscle which can be quite subtle to detect. Frequently it will even out over time but can be disconcerting in the immediate post operative period.

Unnatural crease shape is usually a function of surgeon familiarity with the procedure. Also, visible scarring, frequently seen in smokers (tobacco or otherwise) or uneven stepoff on either side of the incision, which is technique-specific (the more secure the fold type, the more likely you will note the crease). Prolonged swelling can also occur, most commonly in smokers but also occurring in patients with thick skin or abundant fat. 

The usual risks of surgery of course are always present, but not very common.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Complications of Asian Eyelid surgery

+1

The complications of this procedure are near identical to the complications of any eyelid surgery and certainly can be easily referenced online.  I am forced to disagree with the physician who posted just before me.  If you were my relative, I would strongly urge you to see an oculofacial plastic surgery for this procedure over a general plastic surgeon any day of the week.  For a list of well trained oculofacial surgeons, refer to the website directory for ASOPRS. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian eye lid

+1

Complication of the double lid surgery

Infection, rare

Bleeding, rare

Bruising

Swelling, long term

Lid crease too high, too low, incomplete

Choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Discuss your desires and concerns and the risks. The need for further surgery, cost.