Safe For My Doctor To Be Re-Using the Chin Implant With A Different Placement?

My PS had to remove my implant coz it was a bigger size and my stitches wont heal,kept loosening( she put it from inside my mouth, 9 MM POREX ). So after nearly a month I m getting the same implant RE-USED/RE-INSERTED , but this time she will put it from under my chin. There was NO infection or such thing. She said she will gas-sterilise the implant and put it in. My question is is that safe to re-use the implant? Many Thanks for your time and effort.

Reusing An Old Chin Implant ??

+3

Relocating or repositioning a chin implant can safely be done with the same implant in many circumstances. But when it comes to a porous material-composed facial implant  that has previously been introduced through the mouth and has a history of a non-healing incision and potential contamination, this would not be one of the circumstances in my opinion. While re-sterilizing the implant and relocating may be successful, the risk of infection is definitely higher than using a brand new implant fresh out of the box that has no such history. While trying to save expense is always a good idea, it should not be done at the risk of potentially ruining (infection) the whole operation.

Replace same chin implant

+3

I would be hesitant to replace a porous implant that will be taken out through the mouth and replaced into a new pocket from below. Actually I have little experience with this material as I have used silastic for 40 years. I would have no hesitation in removing a silastic implant, resterilising it, and replacing it providing it is the appropriate size. It will be interesting to hear from a surgeon who has significant experience with Porox chin implants. I hope we get such a response.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Safe for Doctor to Reuse Chin Implant?

+2

A Porex implant is made of very porous material, with many interstices and crevices which allow for tissue in-growth.  The down side of this feature is that there are also more opportunities for bacteria to hide. Based on the problem described with wound healing via an intraoral approach, this implant had a certain degree of bacterial colonization.  Although you may have no problems via a submental approach after gas sterilization, the only comment I would make is that this is not the optimal solution.  This plan would be more acceptable with a silastic implant, which does not allow for tissue in-growth. I would favor a new implant in this situation.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon