Why Does the Chin Implant Gives Me a a Deep Jowl at the Corner of my Mouth Which I Didn't Have Before? (photo)

I had a large central chin implant without the wings a month ago. It was placed externally underneath my chin. My doctor was trying to give me a longer chin per my request so I think it was placed a lil lower than my jawline. Now I see I have developed a deep sulcus jowling at the corner of my mouths which I didn't have before. Is this temporary? Should I be concern? How can I fix this besides removing the implant?

Chin Implant

+2

The pictures are two different poses, one with smile and the other without the smile . That changes the facial appearance, Need pictures same pose to compare

Jowls 1 month post-op chin augmentation

+1

By using a central chin implant "without the wings," your anterior chin projection was increased without affecting your jawline just lateral to the chin in the "pre-jowl sulcus."  As a result your chin was advanced "leaving the rest of the jawline behind."  This creates a hollow, or sulcus, and at this point the only solutions would be to fill the sulcus with filler, like Radiesse, periodically, or change the implant to a more extended anatomical style so that the jawline is also augmented proportionally.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Why Does the Chin Implant Gives Me a a Deep Jowl at the Corner of my Mouth Which I Didn't Have Before?

+1

The surgery was a success in that it added length to the lower third of your face and probably improved overall facial balance.  I would wait 6 weeks or so to determine if there is a true change in the marionette lines.  If you would like the area improved an HA filler like Juvederm would be appropriate and would provide the most reliable improvement for a subtle fill.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

I have a few issue with you as a patient. First the posted photos are NOT labeled before and after. But I assume the top is a before and the bottom one after.? You are not in the SAME facial expression in the two posted photos so very hard to tell if you har=d these "marionette" lines in your before surgery photo. Second, you are ONLY a week post operative. Swelling takes a few months! Best to discuss with your surgeon in detail. A HA filler can improve. 

Central chin implant problem.

+1

What you describe can be remedied by replacing the central chin implant with an extended one. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon