Why Does the Chin Implant Gives Me a a Deep Jowl at the Corner of my Mouth Which I Didn't Have Before? (photo)

I had a large central chin implant without the wings a month ago. It was placed externally underneath my chin. My doctor was trying to give me a longer chin per my request so I think it was placed a lil lower than my jawline. Now I see I have developed a deep sulcus jowling at the corner of my mouths which I didn't have before. Is this temporary? Should I be concern? How can I fix this besides removing the implant?

Chin Implant

The pictures are two different poses, one with smile and the other without the smile . That changes the facial appearance, Need pictures same pose to compare

Jowls 1 month post-op chin augmentation

By using a central chin implant "without the wings," your anterior chin projection was increased without affecting your jawline just lateral to the chin in the "pre-jowl sulcus."  As a result your chin was advanced "leaving the rest of the jawline behind."  This creates a hollow, or sulcus, and at this point the only solutions would be to fill the sulcus with filler, like Radiesse, periodically, or change the implant to a more extended anatomical style so that the jawline is also augmented proportionally.

Why Does the Chin Implant Gives Me a a Deep Jowl at the Corner of my Mouth Which I Didn't Have Before?

The surgery was a success in that it added length to the lower third of your face and probably improved overall facial balance.  I would wait 6 weeks or so to determine if there is a true change in the marionette lines.  If you would like the area improved an HA filler like Juvederm would be appropriate and would provide the most reliable improvement for a subtle fill.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I have a few issue with you as a patient. First the posted photos are NOT labeled before and after. But I assume the top is a before and the bottom one after.? You are not in the SAME facial expression in the two posted photos so very hard to tell if you har=d these "marionette" lines in your before surgery photo. Second, you are ONLY a week post operative. Swelling takes a few months! Best to discuss with your surgeon in detail. A HA filler can improve. 

Central chin implant problem.

What you describe can be remedied by replacing the central chin implant with an extended one. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon