What Are the Chances for a Successful Tummy Tuck? I Have Never Seen Anyone Have a Stomach Like Mine. (photo)

The doctor said there would be concern with the stitches holding. I haven't seen any before pictures with a stomach so abnormal looking. What are the chances that I will have a good result with this type of abnormal stomach? I never had a great stomach but could always suck it in...now I can't even suck this in ( I had two pregnancies via csection). I am 5'5 currently 155lbs (normally weigh 140) and I look 6 mos. preggo despite losing most of my baby weight.

Unique Abdomen?

+2

The picture that you have shown is not unique. You have a typical upper body dominant figure with thin legs. You do not have much a waistline and will not get a dramatic one after an abdominoplasty. You need an aggressive abdominoplasty with significant attention to the tightening of your abdominal wall. This tightening needs to be both in a vertical fashion and also an oblique tightening down low to simulate and bring out the best that can be done for your waistline. A board certified plastic surgeon can help you.

Good candidate for tummy tuck

+2

After studying your photos, it looks like you have a significant separation of your stomach muscles (your plastic surgeon will probably call this a severe diastasis recti).  This is why you are no longer able to "suck in" your stomach.  The muscles that previously allowed you to do that have separated as a result of your pregnancies.  During your tummy tuck, your plastic surgeon will need to repair this separation.  This is difficult, but possible.  I perform abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) procedures on women with this issue frequently.  Follow your surgeon's post-operative instructions to a T to help with a full and speedy recovery.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Excellent Abdominoplasty Candidate

+2

Your chances of having an excellent result are high. I have seen many patients with abdomens like yours; let me reassure you that your situation is normal and can be improved. An abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), will tighten the abdominal muscles and will get rid of loose skin, (probably everything below the belly button). It is best to wait until after you are done having children to proceed with surgery.

Marshall T. Partington, MD, FACS

You have significant rectus diastasis. A full tummy tuck is likely your best option.

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

A tummy tuck is exactly what you need.

+2

Your tummy has a lot of widening and weakening that allows the muscle to separate.  The tummy tuck will pull the muscles together so you can hold things in.  The loose skin will also be tightened.  The best time to do the tummy tuck is after you are done with pregnancies and you are at your normal weight.  Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Not so unusual abdomen

+2

Hi there-

Without examining you in person, it would be very difficult to say for sure, but the photos you have posted give the impression that you are a great candidate for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).

The keys to being safe and achieving your best outcome will be to choose your surgeon very carefully, and for you to follow all instructions in every detail after surgery.

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Successful Tummy Tuck Candidate

+2

Hi Kara, I can tell you're frustrated by your inability to maintain a flat tummy following your pregnancy.  Your problem is not as unusual as you may believe.  In my practice I frequently see women with excess abdominal skin and separated tummy muscle (diastasis) such as yours following pregnancy. You may be an excellent candidate for a   tummy tuck. Once that muscle has separated, no amount of weight loss or exercise will be able to get your tummy flattened out without surgery to repair the muscle and tighten the skin. Most women are exceptionally satisfied following a tummy tuck.   Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with a great deal of experience in abdominoplasty and body contouring for the best result.   Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Successful tummy tuck

+2

It appears that you have a large diastasis of your tummy muscles. Diastasis is the separation of the muscles that run up and down in the center of your tummy. They often become separated during pregnancy and often do not shrink back together after delivery. It causes a natural weakness which allows for your "innards" to push forward. It is different than a hernia, which is more like a hole which can allow your "innards" to get caught outside of the hole. Tummy tuck surgery should be very successful. Sometimes I will have my patients wear a corset for a month or so before the surgery in order to get your tummy "primed". Start by scheduling some consultations with Board Certified Plastic surgeons in your area. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Chances of a great result: very good

+2

Thank you for the photos.  Rest assured that in the right hands you have the makings of a very good tummy tuck result.  Do your homework and see multiple board certified plastic surgeons that can show you very good tummy tuck results.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD