What a the Chances I Changed my Rhinoplasty Results?

About 6.5 days post open rhinoplasty, the water proof cast was becoming unbearably itching. I called my surgeons nurse and she advised me to remove the cast at home if I found the cast to lift at the area of the nostrils. The nurse advises using acetone but I ended up pouring olive oil down the top of the cast (which was very loose and had a space between the cast and my bridge. I was able to lift the cast from the bottom (above the nostrils) with a Q tip and it came off with little force.

Most surgeons removed the splint at about 1 week

+1

Hello Bubbles,

Thank you for the question.  Sounds like you have found an ingenious way of removing the splint.  Most plastic surgeons remove the splint at 7 days after surgery.  More importantly your plastic surgeons office advised you to do so.  You should be ok.

Dr. Remus Repta

Bones stabilize 4-5 days after rhinoplsaty

+1

I would not worry about it. A waterproof cast or splint holds the bones in position after osteotomy (breaking or cutting the bone), and to control swelling.  The bones stabilize after 4 to 5 days unless the nose is subjected to minor trauma. Removing the splint a little early will only result in increased swelling. I frequently remove the splint at 6 days if it is more convenient for the patient.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

It is fine to remove cast 6 days after rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi,

It is very often removed at five days, so I really doubt you could have done any damage.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

What are the Chances I Changed my Rhinoplasty Results?

+1

The chances are small that little was affected with the maneuver that was performed if little force was used.  However, I usually have the patient come in for splint removal if it is loose.  You need your nose examined by your plastic surgeon just to make sure that nothing was disrupted.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA