Are the Chances of a Bad Rhinoplasty Greater when Making Subtle/minor Changes? (photo)

Are the chances of a bad rhinoplasty greater when making subtle/minor changes or when basically reconstructing the entire nose drastically? I know that my nose only needs minor changes- slight rasping of a VERY small bump, SLIGHT narrowing of the entire nose, and refinement of the tip. That's it. But, I am scared of the thought that the rasping of the bump or refining of the tip will be done too much (pinched look) How does a doctor not over due it? Is there a greater risk with subtle changes?

Are the Chances of a Bad Rhinoplasty Greater when Making Subtle/minor Changes?

+1

Dear Larissa,

thank you for your question and photos.  Chances of having a bad rhinoplasty are less related to the extent of the rhinoplasty, and more related to the experience of the surgeon.  If the surgeon does many rhinoplasties with good results, then your chances of having a 'bad rhinoplasty' are small.  If you want just a subtle change, express that to your surgeon, and make sure he understands your wishes.  The changes you want are reasonable and favorable.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Subtle reductions with fewer changes results in a more predictable final result.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Minor vs Major Rhinoplasty Changes

+1

The chances of complications or an unfavorable result are not necessarily higher with subtle vs. drastic changes to the nose. But the aesthetic margin of error is less in more minor rhinoplasties as the patient often has a more discriminating eye...which is why they are having the procedure in the first place. In theory, making smaller changes to the nose should be easier to achieve patient satisfaction but often just the opposite is true.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.come

Rhinoplasty questions

+1

If you go to a plastic surgeon who is experienced at rhinoplaty you should get a nice result from either a tip rhinoplasty with minor changes to a full rhinoplasty with drastic changes.  

+1

Experience, experience, experience. Also I recommend closed technique for the minor changes. Seek many IN PERSON evaluations before choosing the surgeon you want. 

rhinoplasty for subtle or moderate change

+1

The more change that is made during the rhinoplasty procedure results in more moving parts coming together in the three-dimensional healing process of both nasal bones, both upper lateral cartilages, lower lateral cartilages, and the shrink wrap effect of the skin over the cartilaginous and bony bony framework. Please see our rhinoplasty photo gallery for  results of subtle, moderate and significant changes to the nose.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/photogallery/rhinoplasty_photos24.html

Rhinoplasty

+1

The risk of complications is proportional to the aggressiveness of the surgery. The best way for a surgeon to avoid over resection of tissue in rhinoplasty is to have a plan before surgery that includes the amount of tissue to be removed and perform accurate measurements during surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

+1

As with any highly specialized skill, Rhinoplasty results depend upon the experience and aesthetic ability of the Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  All things being equal, the less disruption, to the nose, during the Rhinoplasty the less impact either way. 

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/Rhinoplasty.html

+1

The more changes that are being performed, the greater the risk of an unpredictable result. However, the changes that you are looking for are very commonly performed by experienced rhinoplasty surgeons. With regard to your question, the ability to create the changes that you desire without overly narrowing the tip or reducing the bridge, requires extensive training in rhinoplasty and alot of personal experience performing the surgery. Seek a rhinoplasty specialist and ensure that you review pre- and post-surgery photos of patients with similar noses and similar results. I hope this information is helpful. Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subtle natural changes to the nose risk is not greater IF you choose the right surgeon.

+1

Subtle natural changes to the nose risk is not greater IF you choose the right surgeon. This is one of the best questions I have had out of thousands! The answer is usually yes--this is because the surgeon overdoes the nose. Choose a surgeon whose results are on noses like yours and are very subtle.