What Are the Chances of Abnormal Keloid Tissue Formation After a Tummy Tuck?

Are the chances less for a 30-year-old than a 50-year old? How can a keloid be prevented from occurring after a tummy tuck?

Keloid scars and tummy tuck

+1

Your risk of keloid formation is dependent on any personal history of keloids, family history of keloids, color of your skin, and location of the planned incisions.

If you have had trouble with scarring in the past, discuss a specific after surgery scar care regimen with your plastic surgeon who is going to do your surgery. Silicone gels and sheeting have proven to get some good results.

Scar Appearance after Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

I think what you are really asking is how you can maximize your chances of having an inconspicuous scar and minimize the risk of a scar you don't like (whether it is a true keloid or not), right?

There are many variables here... But they can all be distilled to this- find the right surgeon. If you find a surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who you like and feel you can trust, and whose work you admire (look at lots of photos and ask to speak to prior patients), your odds of having a scar you don't like should be very very low.

There are some patient populations who are at inherently higher risk of unfavorable scars, but it doesn't sound like you are among these.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Keloid Formation after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I am not aware of any study documenting the incidence of keloid formation after tummy tuck surgery. Based on my own experience, incidence is low ( less than 5%). The incidence may be higher in certain ethnic groups  or specific individuals who have a propensity for abnormal scar formation. In these individuals prevention may not be possible.

Treatment consists of use of intralesional steroid injections, silicone-based products and occasionally superficial irradiation after excision.

+1

Age is not a major determining issue to a KELOID formation. More based upon racial lines, suture techniques. Best to discuss with your chosen boarded PS in person. 

Keloid Formation after Surgery

+1

A keloid is a scar that becomes wide, thick, raised and sometimes painful over time.  Certain ethnic groups are pre-disposed to developing keloids, but age really should not play a role in it.  If someone has a hsitory of developing hypertrophic scars or keloids, then it is a good idea to try and take all measures to reduce the chances afterwards.  This can include the type of suture material used, injecting steroids into the incision at the time of surgery or after, silicone sheeting, and even adding a boost of external radiation if necessary.  Unfortunately, even with all these measures, a patient can still keloid over time.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Keloids After Tummy Tuck

+1

Keloid formation is not age dependent.  Keloids are fairly rare unless you have a personal history of forming keloid scars.  If you are prone to developing keloids or hypertrophic scarring, there are treatments which can improve the scars.

Donald Griffin, MD