What is the Chance I Will Get a Keloid Scar from a Small Mole Removal on my Upper Chest?(photo)

What is the Chance I Will Get a Keloid Scar from a Small Mole Removal on my Upper Chest?

How to prevent scarring from mole removal on the chest

+1

All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the proper technique. The best way to remove this mole would be by doing a "shave excision" which will case the least tissue trauma and give you the best chance for a minimal scar. In the technique of doing a shave excision, the mole is actually "shaved off" at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless. However, there is always the possibility of a hypertrophic scar or keloid which can then be treated with cortisone injections. I would recommend being treated by a board certified dermatologist as plastic surgeons rarely do shave excisions.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

There are a few great ways to minimize keloids for mole removals on the chest.

+1

Shaving the mole by saucerization, burning with laser or electro fulguration, or freezing with liquid nitrogen under local anesthesia are all great ways to remove moles with minimal scarring effect in the right patient. Follow up is crucial and may need cortisone injections to prevent keloids.  Expect to pay roughly $350 depending on the treatment. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Keloid

+1

Keloid formation is a genetic condition. If geneticaly you have the gene for keloid then your chances are high. If you do not have the gene then you may not. However you may develope a hypertrophic scar,That is a thick scar. There are certain areas of the body that tend to have hypertrophic scar more than others. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.