What is the Best Cement Used to Place New Dental Crowns?

I am concerned that my crowns may darken over time if a good cement is not used. I read an article stating a couple of cements that were not good enough over a long period of time (which I did not make a note of at the time). I think one began with a letter V and the other began with F. I want to make sure that my dentist uses a good cement that will not give me a discoloration problem in years to come. Which is the best in your opinion? Thank you in advance.

What is the best cement to insert crowns?

+1

Not an easy answer because in my opinion it depends on the type of crown... Is the crown all metal or gold, is the crown all porcelain, is the crown a combination of metal and ceramic, is the crown zircronium and the list goes on and on. Most dentist are trying to use a cement that has adequate working time if it sets up to fast its not good and if it takes to long we have moisture problems. You want a cement that doesn't cause alot of sensitivity. A glass ionomer such as Fugi is good and a bondable cement that is dual cured such as relyx is also very good but their are many on the market talk to your dentist and they should be able to educate you in what they feel is best.

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD  CEO Baystate Dental PC.

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Best cement for dental crowns

+1

There is multiple choice of cements currently on the market. And the major factor choosing the cement is the core material used for the crown or veneer. It also depends upon personal preferences, experience and clinical skills of the dentist. So, you should address your concerns prior to cementation with your dentist. 

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Cement properties vary

+1

The material of the crown will determine what cement can be used.  If you have metal as part of the crown (many are porcelain fused to metal) or the entire crown is metal, then the cement won't matter, there won't be any color shift.  Many of us use non metal crowns which get bonded in.  All dual cure (cures by light or by itself) will discolor, so ask for a light cured only.  Many cements can have an activator added, so while it is a light cure only by design, it may be altered.

There are many great luting resins on the market.  You may be referring to Variolink from Ivoclar, but there are other great ones as well.  Consider 3M's RelyX Veneer, Calibra, Nexus 2 and so on. 

The best advice I can give is to ask your dentist what is being used and share your concerns.  They know what to do.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Best Cement for Dental Crowns

+1

There are many many different types of Dental Crowns, and many many different cements. Each one has its specific role. There is no "1 size fits all".

New York Cosmetic Dentist