What is the Cause of the Indented Scar I Have from Alar Reduction, and Will It Improve? (photo)

14 days ago, I had rhinoplasty, which included alar reduction with the incision made from the outside. Right now, it seems to have closed up, but I am left with sharply indented scars on the sides and under my nostrils where the incision was made. Why might this have happened? Was the wound improperly closed, or is this atrophic scarring? And what should I do at this point? Much obliged. (The white in the picture is from the contractubex I've been applying)

Alar base scars after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear prufrocksdilemma,

1. It is still early and the scars will improve over the next few months
  2. If they are still visible, they can be moved further downwards towards the curve of the ala where is meets the cheek

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

What is the Cause of the Indented Scar I Have from Alar Reduction, and Will It Improve?

+1

MUCH to early in healing phase to comment. Allow 3 months scar healing than consider revision if not happy. 

Alar base scars

+1

I think that it is too early to tell for sure what the final result will be. I would give it at least 6 months. If at that point it is not satisfactory, you may want to consider a revision if possible.

+1

Dear prufrock,

Thank you for your post.  I'm sure this scar can be improved later on.  Alar base exicision scars never look that great to me, which is why I do not do them, but I think this can be improved upon once you are all healed.  There is nothing to do at this point.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The incision edges appears inverted

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  At first sight you incision appears inverted which means that the edges are pointing inward.  This may be a temporary thing so waiting a little longer is reasonable.  The good news is that it can be corrected easily under local anesthesia.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD