What is the Cause for Burning Pain Under Right Nipple?

I am 5 days Post op and had 270cc's saline implants placed under muscle. Ever since last Thursday night I go to bed propped up and I end up being woken up to a horrible burning pain behind my right nipple! moving a certain way just amplifies the pain!. I tried using polysporin and a nursing nipple cream to numb it. It works for a bit, but then comes back. Then once I'm up and moving, it slowly goes away. What could this be and why doesn't it happen in the left one too? Thank you

Burning Pain

+1

Everyone has odd sensations and pains after surgery, everyone's experience in unique, and often not symmetric. 

Your symptom is common, and not a harbinger of any problems. As a rule these become less intense and less frequent with passing days and weeks.

Do continue follow ups with  your surgeon. If troublesome enough there are topical local anesthetics that can be prescribed. 

Thanks, best wishes for an uneventful recovery. 

"Burning" nerve pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

A "burning" or "stabbing" pain shortly after Breast Augmentation is often related to the stretching of the nerves that travel through the breast. The major nerves to the nipple and lateral breast exit the chest next to the side of the pectoral muscle and travel through the breast gland. When we make room for the breast implant those nerves are often stretched around and over the implant, and can be irritated. The good news is that as the swelling goes away after surgery and your body relaxes around the implant the nerve heals and the pains go away.

Rarely the pain can persist for several months. This may be related to the amount of stretch that occurs or the individual nerve sensitivity. Chronic pain may require surgery in rare cases.

My hope and expectation is that your pain will go away soon. As always any concerns should be brought up with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon.

Douglas Leppink, M.D.
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Burning Pain after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about asymmetric “burning pain” you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Keep in mind  that your plastic surgeon is your best resource for information,  you should be aware that (generally speaking) some burning/shooting pain ( often on one side more so than the other) is  quite common after breast augmentation surgery.  These types of symptoms (usually) gradually resolve.

I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon and express your questions/concerns. The use of anti-inflammatories ( if approved by your surgeon) may be helpful.