What is the cause of "cow lashes" after lower blepharoplasty? (photo)

I 43 and 5 months post lower blepharoplasty. I have canthal blunting and my lateral eye lashes point forward "cow lashes" on my upper and lower lids. What causes "cow lashes" and how can this be corrected?

"Cow lashes" are heavy straight eye lashes.

+2
Generally lashes have a slight curve to them in the upward direction.  Lashes that point down overly shadow the corneal surface and can make the eye look dull.  You clearly had a bid more than lower eyelid surgery consider the blunting of the lateral canthal angle.  It is possible that the canthal angle was disinserted by surgery.  Lack of tension on the upper eyelid margin can have the effect of allowing the eyelids to relax like this.  Repairing this may require both repairing the canthal angle and performing an anchor upper blepharoplasty to help address the eye lash ptosis.  Please do not expect you original surgeon to have a clue about this.

Healing after eyelid surgery

+1
Thanks for sharing your photos.

At 5 months after eyelid surgery there may not be much improvement.  It appears based on your photo that an anterior approach was performed.  It may be that your lateral canthus, the outer part of the eyelid may need some additional support.  When I perform lower lid surgery with significant adjustments then canthal support is very important.  At 5 months post surgery I think you should expect a clear answer and plan from your original surgeon or be prepared to get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon with interest and experience in eyelid surgery.

Best of luck to you.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash position after lower lid blepharoplasty

+1

Scar tissue can cause various forms of entropion or ectropion after blepharoplasty.  5 months is still early in your recovery. This usually softens over time.

To be sure, follow up with your surgeon and have all your questions answered to your satisfaction.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS