Should the Cast and Stitches from an Open Rhinoplasty Be Removed Within 7 Days to Avoid Scarring?

It's been four days since having my primary open rhinoplasty. I would like to know when stitches and sutures need to be removed by, to prevent scars from forming? I am aware from my research that most people have their cast/stiches removed within 7-10 days following the op. My cast and stiches are scheduled to be removed 12 days after the operation - Is it risky from a scarring perspective to leave these in for 12 days instead of 7-10?

Timing Of Rhinoplasty Dressing And Suture Removal

+1

While most splints and tapes are removed around one week after rhinoplasty surgery, that timeline is not cast in stone. Most external nasal dressings get loose at one week after surgery so this is a convenient time to remove them. But leaving them longer is fine and has nothing to do with creating scarring. I use tiny dissolveable sutures in the columella so removal is not necessary.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com

Removal of Cast and Stitches 12 Days Post Rhinoplasty

+1

I typically remove the cast and stitches 6-7 days after rhinoplasty. However I strongly recommend that you follow the recommendations of the surgeon you trusted to do your surgery. it is not wise to second guess him/her at the stage.

Rhinoplasty post-op

+1

I usually remove nasal splints and sutures within about a week give or take a few days.  Each surgeon is a bit different.

When should rhinoplasty stiches be removed

+1

It deepnds on which type were used, if they are permanent I would recommend removal at 7 days, if they are absorbable, they will not need to be removed, only trimmed

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Splint and sutures out six to seven days after rhinoplasty

+1

We prefer suture removal by six days, and sometimes seven. The splint usually will only stay in place to six to seven days as well. Common thinking and experience tells us five to six days is long enough, and might reduce suture marking on the skin.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

When to remove columellar sutures

+1

It's hard to say if 12 days is too long to leave your sutures. You may have dissolveable sutures that will go away in their own and you may just have the remnant sutures trimmed at your 12 day visit.

I normally remove the sutures around the 1 week point in my patients. Your surgeon would be the best person to ask about this to make though.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty

Nasal tape and/ or splint is typically removed 5-7 days following rhinoplasty

+1

The nasal splint is typically removed 5-7 days following rhinoplasty. At this point the nasal bones are secure enough that the splint is no longer required. With regard to sutures across the base of the nose, this depends upon the surgeon. I use resorbable sutures that do not require "removal." However at 5-7 days any remaining bits of suture can be trimmed away. Non-dissolving sutures do require removal and the risk of leaving them in longer than 7 days is track marks where the sutures penetrate the skin. This is how we care for our patients. However, the best person to answer this question is the surgeon who has performed your procedure.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

WHEN Should Open Nose Job (Rhinoplasty) Stitches be Removed?

+1

I assume you are referring to the short incision across the waist of the columela diving the nose into two airways. I prefer to remove these stitches in 5 days to prevent "rail road tracking", the ingrowth of skin into the stitch openings. There is no real reason aside from office convenience to keep these stitches in longer. The inside stitches are usually dissolving stitches which fall out by themselves.

When to remove sutures and cast

+1

Each situation is unique and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this.  In general the fine sutures used to close open rhinoplasty incisions don't leave marks and as long as you keep them moist the incision should heal OK.