What is the Cash Cost for a Bilateral DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction?

I had a bilateral mastectomy prophylactically almost 10 years ago. The implants remain fairly soft, but one has 'bottomed out', causing a significant amount of pain and discomfort. It makes wearing a bra impossible, as the underwire doesn't stay in place, and exercise is even more uncomfortable. Since insurance is very unlikely to cover a second reconstruction for 'pain' complaints. I am considering implant replacement vs diep procedure. What is the ballpark cost of a bilateral diep?

Breast implant reconstruction

+2

If you are having problems with your breast reconstruction using implants and are interested in using autologous tissue such as a DIEP flap most insurance companies will approve this procedure.  Your next step is to go to a plastic surgeon experienced with the procedure and have an examination and consultation.  

Breat Reconstruction

+2

Your insurance should pay for the revision breast reconstruction and that should include DIEP flap if that is what you want

Payment for a deep inferior epigastric perforator flap.

+2

Dear Loriliz - the cost for this surgery including hospitalization would be very prohibitive for most people...most likely close to six figures.  Your insurance company should cover the surgery without question.  I switch out breast implant reconstruction for DIEP's all the time and have never been turned down by an insurance provider.  

DIEP Flap Reconstruction

+2

I would not rule out insurance coverage for a Bilateral DIEP flap procedure.  My suggestion would be to visit with a board certified PS experienced in DIEP flap breast reconstruction to see if 1) you are a good candidate for DIEP flap reconstruction and 2) process the procedure for insurance coverage.   In my experience, given your post mastectomy defects and history of a prophylatic mastectomy, I have not had problems getting a bilateral mastectomy reconstruction with DIEP free flaps covered by insurance.  At the very least, its worth a try to secure insurance coverage.  And feel free to visit a provider out of state with experience with this.  The self-pay option for DIEP flaps can be very expensive, especially with the longer operating room time costs and postoperative hospital stay costs.   Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.breastreconstructionhouston.com

Cost of DIEP Flap Reconstruction

+1

Thank you for your question.   The wonderful news is that federal law mandates coverage of reconstruction and subsequent procedures.   I frequently see patients who are dissatisfied with their old implant reconstructions and desire to use their own abdominal tissue to reconstruct the breast.

I have never had issue in regards to the insurance company covering this revision procedure.   I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in DIEP flap reconstruction.

Dr. Gill

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

DIEP and implant exchange

+1

Breast reconstruction is usually covered by insurance. Check it out first. Some surgeosn do not "take insurance" and the patient pays "out of pocket."