Is the bump on one side of my nose scar tissue and will it go down?

I am just over 5 months post closed rhinoplasty. I have been experiencing asymmetry since I have gotten my cast off. On the left side (my left) it looks like there is a bump or something making that side look weird. It is firm feeling but not too hard. I am really concerned about needing a revision to fix this. Is this just scar tissue/swelling that will subside or is this the actual structure of my nose? I have tried talking to my surgeon about it but he won't even examine my nose and just keeps telling me its normal to have uneven swelling.

Nasal Asymmetry After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Cara,

I am sorry that you are having hard time communicating with your surgeon.

Based on the photo you have provided, it is hard to determine the cause of the bump and the asymmetry you have described in your post.

The before/after photos and a physical examination are crucial to provide an accurate diagnosis.

Nonetheless, the 5 months post surgery are not enough to achieve your final results and swelling could subside asymmetrically over different nasal areas.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Bump

+1

I see the bump,you are talking about.  If you had your nasal bones broken at the time of your surgery, it might that you are looking at the fracture line through the skin.. I do agree with your surgeon, however, that it is too early to consider revision and it may still resolve with time.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Nose Revision

+1

It is too soon to tell.  You need to wait at least 12 months. You should bring this to the attention of your surgeon as he/she will have a better idea of what it is from and whether it should resolve.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip asymmetry 5 months after rhinoplasty

+1

5 months is definitely too soon to assess the final result of a rhinoplasty. It is possible that the asymmetry results from swelling and will "settle" over time. However, if the tip was modified during rhinoplasty the asymmetry could result from the underlying nasal tip cartilage structure. Time will tell but your plastic surgeon should be willing to evaluate your nose and give an in person assessment of your progress. I hope this helps.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip asymmetry 5 months after rhinoplasty

+1

This could be one of two things: either persistent swelling and fibrosis with is more prominent on one side, or nasal tip cartilages are slightly asymmetric. In any case, you are still 5 months out, which is in case of rhinoplasty is not long enough to speak about the final result and to get overly concerned about it. Both swelling and cartilage shape may change over next 5-6 months thus eliminating your problem.  Be patient and give it enough time before you start thinking about a revision and follow up with your doctor in the interim.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

+1

The swelling of the nasal tip can take 6-9 months to resolve depending on what technique was used during your Rhinoplasty.  The Rhinoplasty Surgeon should be able to give you an idea of your post-op Rhinoplasty progress.

Bump on one side of nose

+1

I must tell you that at 5 months post you can still have asymmetry. This is not what your nose is going to look like at 1 year post op. You can have swelling for up to 18 months. I understand your concerns and must tell you to keep communicating with your surgeon. It may seem that he is not listening to you at this point, but he is. It's to early to tell what your end result is going to be at this time. If at 9 to 10 months post op there is asymmetry schedule an appointment with your surgeon to talk about a revision.

David Alessi, MD

Bump on one side of nose.

+1

Thank you for the question. The bump on the left side could be due swelling and scarring. You are still five months out from surgery and my advice for you is to wait for another 5-6 months. I also advice you communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon and keep your appointment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD