Why won't the bump on my nose flatten when I press it with my fingers (isn't it cartilage)?

So I have this ugly hump that is ruining my self esteem on my nose. I can't get dates. My nose is small and I like the tip, but the stupid bump throws my whole face off. I am too wimpy for surgery and will never have the money for it. I figured my nose is cartilage, so I'm trying to flatten the bony little convex nasal bump with my fingers. So far it's not working. How do I flatten the bump on my nose WITHOUT surgery OR fillers? I need a straight nose ASAP. i'm starting college, need a boyfriend

Nasal bump will only correct with surgery.

+1
The bone and cartilage of your nose is what gives it it's shape and contour.  You can't change it by simply pushing on it, as it is too strong.  Your best bet is to see a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss how best to correct this issue which is bothering you so much.  Knowing what is entailed can ease your mind.

+1
While cartilage is softer than bone, it will still not compress the way your are hoping it would.  Surgery is the only method, in my opinion, to address this concern.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

+1
It is probably a combination of cartilage and bone. neither goes away without surgery. But you would be a very poor candidate for surgery based on your reasons. There are hundreds of thousands of women in this country alone with a hump on their nose that are successful in life and in relationships. It isn't the hump that is your problem. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Flattening a nasal hump

+1
A nasal hump cannot be reduced by pressure from your fingers. The definitive means of removing the hump is through rhinoplasty surgery. A bump can also be camouflaged by injecting fillers around the prominence on the bridge of your nose. Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. Best wishes.
For additional information about rhinoplasty:

Gregory Park, MD

Hump reduction without rhinoplasty

+1
Unfortunately the safest most predictable way to remove a dorsal hump (which is often bone + cartilage) is through rhinoplasty surgery.  Pressing on the convexity will not change it.  Nonsurgical rhinoplasty with fillers can camouflage it, but is not permanent.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Cartilage can not be molded

+1
It is hard to figure out how bad the bump is with out a photo but it sounds like it is a permanent part of your nose.  The bone and cartilage structures can not be molded with finger massage.  It requires surgery to change and adjust the size of the cartilage in your nose.  Sometimes injections can be used to hide the bump.
An in person evaluation will be more valuable.
Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon