Is the bulge under my belly button due to swelling, seroma, or poor liposuction? (Photo)

I had liposuction (PAL) 7 weeks ago on my upper/lower abdomen and love handles. I noticed this bulge, since the day after my surgery. I had a foam placed on my abdomen after sugery and kept on for 5-7 days. I continue to wear my compression garment at all times. I have not met with my PS in the past 5 weeks, so I have not had the opportunity to express my cocerns regarding this bulge. Can someone please tell me if it is a bulge due to swelling, seroma, or poor liposuction?

Abdominal bulge

+1
You definitely still have some swelling left at 7 weeks, however since your contour is so nice and smooth I would guess it is some residual fat. But the best course of action is to communicate with your surgeon.Good Luck.

Is the bulge under my belly button due to swelling, seroma, or poor liposuction?

+1
The best way to diagnosis for issue is an IN PERSON examination, a scan of the area. The possible causes are residual fat, scarring, seroma.. Or a combination of these. My gut is guessing poor liposuction technique. 

Bulge in lower abdomen

+1
It is difficult to say without seeing you . The bulge can be swelling, fluid, weak muscle tone, to name a few. Best to be seen in person.

Unwanted bulge after liposuction of seven weeks is probably swelling.

+1
At the moment I don't think you have anything to worry about. There is definitely significant swelling it seven weeks. Be patient and keep in contact with your surgeon.

Contour Irregularities after Liposuction

+1
Without an exam, it is difficult to say for sure. Being that you noticed it immediately, it can be any of the above you mention. If the area is firm, it is most likely some scar tissue. Scar tissue can build up in areas treated with liposuction to various degrees but that usually begins after about 1 week after surgery. Lumps of scar tissue can take 4-6 months to resolve. You plastic surgeon is the best person to answer your question. Minor contour irregularities commonly occur after liposuction and can take months and months to improve.

Hayley Brown, MD