What Is the Best Brow Lift Alternative?

I am a male, 66, who is almost totally bald. My eyelids are lower -- ptosis, I believe. So far two docs say I need a direct brow lift, one a coronal, one an upper blepharoplasty, one a upper blepharoplasty with an ultrablepharo (lifting the brow with an incision). One says I'm a "pinkie" and that a direct "hairline" scar will fade. ONe says brow lifts on men are passe and don't look good. Is there a right answer? This would be done in conjunction with a face and neck lift.

Brow Lift in Bald Men - Endoscopic Brow Lift

+1

I have performed many of these browlifts in bald men with an endoscopic approach.  This can be done with 1.5 cm incisions, which are difficult to appreciate.  A direct brow lift may be appropriate as well.

Brow lift

+1

A coronal incision in a hairless man does not look very good. The endoscopic has less pull but also less scars. The bottom line is the endoscopic is better if the scars cannot be concealed. If there is somewhere the scars can be hidden this is best. A personal exam is necessary

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Browlift in bald men

+1

I have had good experiences with browlifting via the endoscopic approach in bald men. In general, the incisions are small enough, and heal well enough, to be overlooked except on close inspection.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most men look good with low eyebrows.

+1

Hi.

Think of Paul Newman!  But if your brows really need to come up some. an endoscopic brow lift leaves minimal scars.  Avoid coronal incision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Options bor browlift in Men

+1

Various techniques can be used to lift the brow in men. Endoscopic and caronal lifts are fairly big procedures but can be quite effective. In Men with high hairlines or complete baldness I often recomend a midforehead brow lift. The brow can be shaped acurately and the incission lines are easily camouflaged by forehead wrinkles. The procedure is quick and can be done under local anaesthetic.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lifts can be a great procedure in men

+1

You have many options available to you as a male. Being bald limits some of them however. A coronal lift would be visible as would incisions placed in the scalp for the endoscopic procedure. A pure temporal lift done endoscopically with suture plication is a great alternative in bald males as the temporal hair is almost always still intact (unless you shave the remainder or your head). Another good option is the transblepharoplasty brow-pexy which can also avoid observable scars. A good non-surgical option is Dysport or Botox to provide a chemical lift. This can alway be tried first to see if you would like the appearance of the more permanent solution. If you truly have involutional ptosis however this may need to be adressed with a ptosis surgery. I hope this helps.

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift alternative

+1

A brow lift is a common procedure performed on male patients, and looks best when performed conservatively. Often, it is not lifting but volumizing the eyebrow region that really enhances appearance. In general, an endoscopic approach is a fantastic way to perform the surgery and will leave you with minimal scarring. If you did not want to go the surgical route when improving the appearance of your brow, you could always lift the brow temporarily with Botox or Dysport. Injecting a small amount of Botox or Dysport will slightly raise the lateral eyebrows. You may also use fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane at the superior area of the brow. There is no right or wrong answer, as the decision to have a brow lift is a personal preference. It is important that you and your surgeon agree on a game plan, and I would recommend choosing a surgeon who uses computer imaging software. This will allow you to get an idea of how the final result may appear, and serve as a great communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Brow lift on men

+1

There are many choices for brow lift incision. The only one you did not mention is the endoscopic approach. This approach leaves very small incisions that usually heal well. Brow lift on men can be very helpful if not overdone. Without a photo to see if there are deep forehead lines its hard to recommend one incision site. If you have very low brows you are a good candidate for one of the mentioned approaches.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift alternatives

+1

There are several issues to your question.  Brow lifts do look good on males and help to improve the tired and uninterested look seen with sagging of the brow.  In a bald male with some deep forehead creases a direct brow lift using one of the creases can be a good alternative.  An endoscopic brow lift will elevate the brows with minimal scarring and can certainly be incorporated with a face and neck lift.  The coronal lift can be done quite far back so that it is less visible.  These alternatives can only be evaluated after examining you. 

Michael Sundine, MD

Browlifting

+1

Browlifting is surgery that can be done via a myriad of different techniques, and each technique is idea for a certain type of patient, male vs female, forehead wrinkles or smooth forehead, good hairline or not [and there are obviously different degrees of hairloss], and thickness of skin.

A direct or midforehead lift can achieve excellent results [long term] is it is done in the proper patient. Ideally, you should get an opinion from a surgeon that is facile and experienced using all the different techniques:

Coronal incision [middle of the scalp], trichophytic incision [hairline], endoscopic, midforehead, and suprabrow.

I use all of the above techniques depending on the individual patient.

If you post a photo, we might be able to give you a more individualized recommendation.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon