Are the Broken Screws my Fault or is This a Flaw in Their Work? (photo)

It took 3 years to finish getting new implants in my lower jaw supporting complete lower denture and (no implant) upper denture. They couldn't get the bite correct and it still doesn't feel right. 2 screws broke in the past 3 months and they say I should pay for the replacements. I don't grind my teeth or eat "hard" food. I am tired of dealing with them but can't afford to start over. I just want it done.

Do Your RESEARCH FIRST!

+1

The office should remedy this situation at no charge!

1. EXPERIENCE

How long has the Dentist or Practice been performing Dental Implant, Cosmetic, or Full-Mouth Reconstruction Procedures? ASK TO SEE THEIR CREDENTIALS!

2. BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES and VIDEOS

Does the Dentist or Practice have Before and After photos of Actual Patients? MANY DENTIST USE STOCK PHOTOS!

3. REFERENCES

Can the Dentist or Practice put you in contact with their Patients, so you can personally ask questions about their experiences? ASK THE PATIENT SITTING NEXT TO YOU!

4. PEER REVIEWS

Look into the reputation of the Dentist or Practice, are they respected in the Dental Community? ASK FOR NAMES, GOOGLEâ„¢ THEM!

5. THE OFFICE & STAFF

Does the office have the latest technology, state-of-the art equipment, a professional staff, and an appealing ambience?

Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist

Something doesn't seem right

+1

If you are getting borken screws, especially in a round house, fixed hybrid, situation like you are in (I gathered from your photo), then there are some serious issues. Most likely ti is because they do not have your bite correct and strong lateral forces are being delivered to the areas where screws are breaking.

Peter Joseph, DMD
Baltimore Cosmetic Dentist

Broken Screws in Dental Implants

+1

3 Years seems like a long time to complete a dental implant case in any scenario.  Some complicated cases may take a long time, but 3 years seems to be an extenuating circumstance. Your complaint of your bite not "feeling right" may be the reason the implant screws are breaking.  Implant screws usually only break if there are undue forces against them.  These are usually side to side or front to back undue forces from the bite being off.  Like I said this is usually the case, but not always.  Most dentists will not charge you for the replacement screws until they know the patient has a properly functioning prosthesis.  It is difficult to give you a definitive answer with only the one photo given, multiple photos and angles would help as well a a radiograph to show the angulation of the implants.  Just speak with your dentsit and or surgeon and voice your concern.  If necessary seek out a second opinion

Hope this helps

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implant success

+1
You should have at least a year of functioning on your teeth before they would consider charging you for repairs. Many docs I know will cover 3-5 years on more complex cases.

Randall LaFrom, DDS
San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Some implant procedures can take quite a while, depending upon what damage has occurred.

It sounds like you still have some substantial frustrations. I would make a short, concise list and then ask to set some time with the implant dentist to go over a few of your concerns.

A good, calm clear conversation is the first place to start. I have done a lot of implant cases like what you describe, and some of them are hard to get perfect results.

Nonetheless, you have spent a lot of time and money in your dental practice. Don't throw that relationship away easily. 

There frequently is some maintenance that is required, but ask about what to expect, and what to expect for maintenance costs.

If you are very frustrated, then you could go to someone like a prosthodontist to get a second opinion. But be careful once you start getting another opinion, they sometimes make the issue worse not better. A good second opinion could help guide you in your conversation with your current dentist.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist