Can I Have the Bridge Rasped Without Anesthesia? Would Be 2nd Time.

I just can't ask family members to drive me home yet again! I had the bump on my nose from the broken bone, build up after the initial rhinoplasty. I had to pay to have this rasped down. I can still see the bump where the bump was, so it is softer, but still a bump! It creates a shadow in bathroom lighting. Am I wrong to want a smooth nose? Isee plenty of women with smooth noses after rhinoplasty. I hate to put more money into this, and I think I will find new doc, hopefully it won't break the bank

Bridge rasp without general anesthesia

+1

Even though this is a touchup procedure, it is best performed under very brief general anesthetic.  Most patients simply cannot tolerate the injections required to sufficiently numb the nose for this rasping procedure and it will be a very unpleasant experience for the patient.  In addition, there is no protection in the airway from blood going down the back of the throat.  It is a good idea for the patient’s safety to have an anesthesiologist present for this.

Can I Have the bridge of my nose reduced without anesthesia?

+1

This IS possible. I will occasionally rasp a small bump in the office under local anesthesia. However, if the bump is extensive or rasping results in an "open roof" you will likely need small cuts placed in the outer part of the nasal bones to slightly narrow the bones and bring the nasal bridge back together. This is much better tolerated under IV sedation. You can be completely numbed with local anesthetic but that doesn't make the sight and sound of nasal bridge reduction any less unpleasant. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

You could perhaps find some Rhinoplasty Surgeon that would do such a thing (I would not) but why would would you?  There's no reason to be uncomfortable.  Have it done correctly with anesthesia so whatever needs to be done can be done.  Hope this helps.

Alternative Anesthesia in Rhinoplasty

+1

Simple rasping of a dorsal hump can be done with local anesthesia alone if you had to.  However, I'd recommend combining this with sedation through an IV, though this will prevent you from driving yourself home.  What I typically do is anesthetize the inside and outside of the nose with local anesthetic (lidocaine and bupivicaine) and a medical grade cocaine solution.  

This makes the nose entirely numb, but you will still hear the sound of the rasp.  That bothers some people (understandably!).  Though not absolutely necessary, it would be best if you could arrange a ride home so that you could also have IV sedation.

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rasping a nose without anesthesia

+1

Rasping of a nose may be simple but it can be uncomfortable. I suggest having anesthesia and sedation.

Can I have a bump rasped off under local

+1

In many cases what appears to be somethng simple it becomes more complex.It may be more complex than a simple rasping I would askyour doctor

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Rasping Nasal Bridge Under Local

+1

You can definitely have rasping of the nasal bridge under just local anesthesia. It is much like going to the dentist to have a procedure using just injectable anesthesia. For more significant reduction of the bridge height, you may require moving the nasal bones, which would likely necessitate a deeper anesthesia. Hopefully this is not the case for you. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Hump

+1

It depends on how large the nasal hump is.  For small nasal humps, rasping it under local anesthesia is an option.  However, for larger nasal humps, additional work on the nasal bones may have to be done to achieve the results you seek and this may require more than just local anesthesia.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Rasping Nasal Bridge Without Anesthesia

+1

Your bridge can be rasped with just local anesthesia. It will become more difficult if it is necessary to break the nasal bones. Discuss the options with your surgeon.