What Do You Think About the Breast Implants Approved by the FDA March 9th 2012 Made by Sientra Silimed?

What Do You Think About the Breat Implants Approved by the FDA March 9th 2012 Made by Sientra Silimed?

Sientra Breast Implants

Thanks for your question. I am very familiar with all of the implants on the market because I do a lot of breast reconstruction as well as a lot of cosmetic breast augmentation procedures. And although Sientra implants have only recently been approved by the FDA, they have been in use around the world for many years with an excellent record of safety and success. I have been very impressed with the Sientra implants for several reasons. The variety of shapes and styles Sientra offers allows surgeons more options for creating a custom result. The implants are high-strength, yet the consistency creates an extremely natural looking and feeling outcome. Sientra is the only implant manufacturer that offers a warranty against capsular contracture, so the company really stands behind their products. These implants are only available through board-certified plastic surgeons, which means that the manufacturer is committed to safety and superior results. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, my patients have been extremely happy with their Sientra breast implants. I have seen very little in the way of complications with these implants, and the results have been beautiful. Good luck to you.

Sientra Implants

I have been using Sientra implants for both breast augmentation and breast reconstruction patients for the past 2 years.  Prior to this, I primarily used Mentor implants, although I have used Allergan and Inamed and McGhan implants as well during the past 17 years.

I am very impressed with the direction that Sientra has taken.  The focus on research and development has been impressive and the efforts to educate board-certified plastic surgeons and patients is to be applauded.  The gel is remarkably cohesive and the gel-shell relationship is actually what I believe sets them apart from their competition.  

Nevertheless, personal experience trumps data and I am very happy with my patient's outcomes over the past two years.  I believe that they have changed the landscape of prosthetic breast reconstruction with their expanders and shaped/textured implants.  I follow my augmentation patients for 12 months routinely and have found that it is difficult to "feel" the edge of the implant/capsule in submuscular augmentations, even in patients with poor soft tissue coverage infero-laterally.  

It behooves us all, as board-certified plastic surgeons, to improve out patient's outcomes.  If you have not yet used Sientra devices, I recommend you give them a chance.  

Gary R. Donath, MD
San Luis Obispo Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants offer comparative quality and safety

Sientra breast implants are not new and have been sold around the world for years through the Silimed company. Since they are now FDA-approved, patients can be assured that they are comparable in manufacturing and quality to that of Allergan and Mentor. The only potential advantage that they may bring to the American breast implant market is competition, which may lower the implant price for surgery.

Sientra implants

Hello, and thank you for this question. I am familiar with these implants and had been using them for the past 3 years. We have use them in both cosmetic and reconstructive cases. These implants have been used around the world for many years. They are safe and you can feel confident with the long term results. The company has made a decision to only sell and market these implants the board certified plastic surgeons. I believe this is a good decision and wish the other major manufactures of implants would follow. I do a significant number of revisional cases and many have been performed by non-core surgeons.They are another good choice for patients seeking a breast enhancement.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Sientra breast implants

Sientra makes a fantastic breast implant.  Though more recently approved in the US, they have been used Internationally for over 30 years.  I use this for both cosmetic and reconstructive purposes.  They have a wide selection of profiles, contours, textures and sizes and it works for the majority of my patients.  They have some great warranties in place as well.

Sientra Silicone Implants - Excellent Choice!

I have been using Sientra implants over the past 2 years with excellent results and very pleased patients.  As a result, I now use them exclusively in my practice.  Although approved for use by the FDA in the United States in 2012, these implants have been used in other countries for many years.  They have been proven safe, effective and durable with excellent safeguards and warranties provided by the company.  These implants would be an excellent choice for you.

Sientra Breast Implants

This is a good question.  The plastic surgery capital of the world is Brazil. It is the home to many of the world’s greatest and most innovative plastic surgeons and Brazilians get plastic surgery more than anyone else in the world! This is where the Sientra breast implant comes from. Sientra implants are actually made in Brazil by Silimed, a company that has been making and distributing breast implants around the world for over 30 years and has done a very good job of producing quality and paying attention to safety and reducing complications. It has also been exceptional at collecting data and the results of the data are excellent.

Here is why I believe the Sientra breast implant is exceptional.
  • It has arguably the best warrantee of the implants available in the US. (Mentor, Allergan or Natrelle and Sientra). The company virtually changed the game of the implant industry when it started to provide implant replacement if you develop a capsule contracture in the first two years.
  • It has a flat back and more tapered sides for a more natural look and feel.
  • It has been shown to have a lower capsule contracture rate and less wrinkling of the shell than any other implant.
  • It does not require massage or special binders after your surgery; just a supportive bra.
  • In my opinion it feels more natural after time as any other implant after about 3 to 4 months.
There is no implant with a wider range of shapes and sizes available in the form stable cohesive gel breast implant market. The range your surgeon gave you is likely based on your chest measurements, which is how we determine what sizes would work for you.

In short, I really like this implant company and I do not think you can go wrong with Sientra. It is what I use for my patients and I hold myself to the family standard: what I would want for my family.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

FDA approval of Sientra (aka Silimed) breast implants

Sientra breast implants are the same implants manufactured in Brazil under the name of Silimed. These implants are heavily used in other counties and have a good track record for safety and efficacy. These implants allow more choices for women seeking reconstructive or aesthetic breast surgery.

Dr Edwards

Sientra silicone gel implants are recommended.

As with any cosmetic procedure or newly approved product, opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon. Fortunately, the Sientra Corporation Silimed brand highly cohesive silicone gel implants were used for years with great success around the world before they were approved by the FDA for use in the United States. Now that they're in the country and only available to board certified plastic surgeons, the implants come highly recommended for their increased cohesiveness, possible reduced risk of rippling, capsule formation and gel leakage, as well as their 2-year warranty against grade 3 or 4 capsular contracture.

Sientra Breast Implants.

As you may have guessed from my videos on Real Self regarding Sientra implants, I feel that the Sientra line of implants is extremely high in quality and allows me to get what I consider some of the best results possible for my patients. All three companies have withstood rigorous evaluation by the FDA in order to get approval and all three brands of implants are extremely high in quality and provide excellent results for patients. Given that I generally prefer textured implants and in particular textured anatomical implants, which is the most stable and natural look for my patients, I feel this is where the three companies differ the most. I like Sientra’s texturing the best as it is a nice balance between the more aggressive Siltex textured made by Allergan and the less aggressive Siltex textured implant made by Mentor. For significantly more details on the benefits of these implants, please refer to my real self-videos.

Robert Cohen, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon