What Do You Think About the Breast Implants Approved by the FDA March 9th 2012 Made by Sientra Silimed?

What Do You Think About the Breat Implants Approved by the FDA March 9th 2012 Made by Sientra Silimed?

Sientra Implants

+2
I have been using Sientra implants for both breast augmentation and breast reconstruction patients for the past 2 years.  Prior to this, I primarily used Mentor implants, although I have used Allergan and Inamed and McGhan implants as well during the past 17 years.

I am very impressed with the direction that Sientra has taken.  The focus on research and development has been impressive and the efforts to educate board-certified plastic surgeons and patients is to be applauded.  The gel is remarkably cohesive and the gel-shell relationship is actually what I believe sets them apart from their competition.  

Nevertheless, personal experience trumps data and I am very happy with my patient's outcomes over the past two years.  I believe that they have changed the landscape of prosthetic breast reconstruction with their expanders and shaped/textured implants.  I follow my augmentation patients for 12 months routinely and have found that it is difficult to "feel" the edge of the implant/capsule in submuscular augmentations, even in patients with poor soft tissue coverage infero-laterally.  

It behooves us all, as board-certified plastic surgeons, to improve out patient's outcomes.  If you have not yet used Sientra devices, I recommend you give them a chance.  

San Luis Obispo Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants offer comparative quality and safety

+2

Sientra breast implants are not new and have been sold around the world for years through the Silimed company. Since they are now FDA-approved, patients can be assured that they are comparable in manufacturing and quality to that of Allergan and Mentor. The only potential advantage that they may bring to the American breast implant market is competition, which may lower the implant price for surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

FDA approval of Sientra (aka Silimed) breast implants

+2

Sientra breast implants are the same implants manufactured in Brazil under the name of Silimed. These implants are heavily used in other counties and have a good track record for safety and efficacy. These implants allow more choices for women seeking reconstructive or aesthetic breast surgery.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Sientra breast Implants

+1
I have used Natrelle, Mentor and now Sientra breast implants. I have been very pleased with Sientra breast implants, and their shaped, form stable breast implant does full full is particular need for some women. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants

+1
This is a good question.  The plastic surgery capital of the world is Brazil. It is the home to many of the world’s greatest and most innovative plastic surgeons and Brazilians get plastic surgery more than anyone else in the world! This is where the Sientra breast implant comes from. Sientra implants are actually made in Brazil by Silimed, a company that has been making and distributing breast implants around the world for over 30 years and has done a very good job of producing quality and paying attention to safety and reducing complications. It has also been exceptional at collecting data and the results of the data are excellent.

Here is why I believe the Sientra breast implant is exceptional.
  • It has arguably the best warrantee of the implants available in the US. (Mentor, Allergan or Natrelle and Sientra). The company virtually changed the game of the implant industry when it started to provide implant replacement if you develop a capsule contracture in the first two years.
  • It has a flat back and more tapered sides for a more natural look and feel.
  • It has been shown to have a lower capsule contracture rate and less wrinkling of the shell than any other implant.
  • It does not require massage or special binders after your surgery; just a supportive bra.
  • In my opinion it feels more natural after time as any other implant after about 3 to 4 months.
There is no implant with a wider range of shapes and sizes available in the form stable cohesive gel breast implant market. The range your surgeon gave you is likely based on your chest measurements, which is how we determine what sizes would work for you.

In short, I really like this implant company and I do not think you can go wrong with Sientra. It is what I use for my patients and I hold myself to the family standard: what I would want for my family.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

FDA approval of Sientra breast implants

+1
Sientra breast implants are a new option for silicone gel breast augmentation in the United States. The FDA is one of the strictest regulatory agencies in the world, and therefore all breast implants approved by the FDA for use in the United States have been thoroughly evaluated and meet the highest standards of quality and safety. The Sientra brand in the United States is the same as the Silimed brand worldwide, and outside of the United States these implants also have an excellent track record. For these reasons, I think patients can feel very comfortable with Sientra as an option for breast augmentation. The decision about what implant and which brand is right for each patient is a personal choice, guided by the recommendations of a board certified plastic surgeon. What I personally like about Sientra breast implants is that the high strength silicone gel allows their round implants to have good fullness in the upper part of the breast for women seeking a very full round breast. This high strength silicone gel also makes their anatomically shaped implants maintain shape without being overly firm, therefore women looking for a very natural sloping breast augmentation have a soft option that will maintain its shape.

Kamakshi Zeidler, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants; FDA Approved, Safe and Effective

+1
Up until last year I used almost 100% Allergan (Inamed) implants. I was part of the Adjunct Study and the Breast Implant Follow Up (BIFS) study with Allergan as well. It took me some time to do the research and then use the Sientra implants in my own patient population. The Sientra implants are FDA approved and have been used for many years in multiple other countries with a good safety and efficacy record. In the last year and still now, more than 80% of the implants I place are Sientra. There are still times in which I choose an Allergan implant. First, on occasion patients will request saline implants and Sientra does not make a saline implant. Also a patient with a narrow base diameter (width of the breast) who wants an implant on the larger size is better with an Allergan style 45 implant (very high profile). My main reason for switching to Sientra was patient satisfaction and lower capsular contracture rate. The gel is more highly cohesive than that in the Allergan (excluding the style 410) or Mentor implants so the implant has less rippling and you don’t feel the implant once it is implanted. They are the only company that makes a round textured implant which is what the majority of my patients choose. Because of the texturing, the capsular contracture rate is lower according to recent studies. They are also the only company to offer a warranty for capsular contracture because of the texturing. The patient satisfaction rate is extremely high and I have been very pleased with using the Sientra highly cohesive gel implants.

Christopher T. Maloney Jr., MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Sientra implants, based on personal experience

+1
I've noticed that Sientra form-stable implants tend to be softer and have more projection for a given implant volume than Mentor and Allergan form-stable implants. They have become my preferred implant for breast reconstruction and I'm using them more frequently for cosmetic breast surgery.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Sientra Breast Implants

+1
Sientra breast implants were FDA approved for the US market in 2012. Prior to that, they have been used extensively in other countries around the world as Silimed brand.  The addition of a third breast implant to the market brings more competition which could lower the price.  It also gives consumers more choices.  Sientra has a whole portfolio of silicone anatomical shaped implants or "gummy bear" implants.  These implants are form stable which means that the silicone gel inside the implant will hold its shape following displacement.  One thing that differentiates Sientra from Mentor and Allergan is that they only sell their implants to plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Trey Aquadro, M.D.
East Alabama Plastic Surgery
Auburn, AL

Ralph Trey Aquadro, MD
Auburn Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants in Austin Texas

+1

I have used Sientra implants for the past 3 months for many breast augmentations and I've been extremely pleased with them, as have my patients.  They are soft and feel and look very natural.  These implants are considered 5th generation gel implants.  The gel inside is high strength and very cohesive, so much so that it's called a 'form stable' implant.  Watch the video to see why.  The implants retain their shape even when displaced under high pressure.  Also, studies demonstrate that these implants may have a lower rate of capsular contracture and a decreased incidence of rippling compared to 4th generation models.  Sientra is the only manufacturer in the world that makes round gummy bear implants and they come in medium and high profile, which mean more choices in tailoring breast augmentation results.

Ashley Gordon, MD