What Are the Different Breast Implant Profiles and Effects of Each?

Just wondering what the different breast implant profiles are & what effect each gives when placed under the muscle. I'm looking to get silicone & want a natural look & feel. I'm a B cup, 5'10", 168 lbs & my measurements are 36 32 38. I don't want to go too big that I will need to retouch them due to excessive sagging. I had a tummy tuck & breast lift 4 years ago & my PS says that my lift still looks great despite losing an additional 10-15 lbs since my surgery.

Breast implant profiles

+2

This is a very sensible question and unfortunately I can't agree with most of what is given as response at this point. 

Profile is the term for the forward projection or dimension of an implant which is nearly always round when used for cosmetic augmentation. "Size" comes in three dimensions for an implant but the width or diameter of an implant is determined by the inner width of the base of the breast if it is to fit and fill out the breast properly without distorting it. The width also determines the vertical height in round implants and the patient choice is in low, medium, or high profile forward volume for the same width that fits the breast. 

Of the two major US manufacturers, the saline-filled breast implant properly scaled for the width comes in low (Allergan), medium (Allergan and Mentor), Moderate Plus (Mentor), and high (Allergan). In silicone gel-filled implants they are not called the same for the same profile but there is still a low, medium, and high profile choice available from both manufacturers. 

Unless your breast is unusually wide or narrow for your chest circumference, a properly fitted, low profile implant should make you look about one cup size larger. A medium profile implant will make you look about 1 1/2 cup sizes larger, and a high profile implant about 2 cup sizes larger. (The saline-filled Moderate Plus is between 1 1/2 and 2 cup sizes larger in increase). Notice that there is no mention of cc's of volume in this. It's a dimensional thing and relative to your chest circumference. 

Therefore, you should look realistically at what cup size you are starting with and figure up between 1 and 2 cup sizes depending on your choice of profile (assuming the surgeon knows how to size implants properly by width of your breast). Then the implants have to be surgically positioned properly. Then they have to heal in that position. And still there is no simple or exact measure of breast size. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1
The difference between these implants have to do with the dimensions ( diameter and height)  of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter  compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate  profile and high profile implants.
I prefer to have a wide selection of implants ( all profiles)  available in the operating room. I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Size Concerns for Breast Implants

+1

The average size implant placed in the US is 350 cc.  Therefore, most reasonable implant sizes are from about 250 cc to 450 cc.  The implant can be chosen to fit the size of the chest wall using one of several profiles.  A plastic surgeon can help with this after sizing in the office.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

Breast Implant Profiles

+1

There are three breast implant profiles.  Low, moderate, and high profile.  For example, let's say we look at the same volume between the three profiles, 300 cc's.  The low profile has the greatest diameter and the least projection.  The high profile has the narrowest (smallest) diameter, yet the greatest projection.  The moderate profile is in between the two. 

We use the different profile implants based on the patient's height, breast diameter, and their per-existing cup size.   Also, if they want to go with a large post operative result, this requires a higher profile implant.  So, for example, you are 5'10" and 168 lbs, what cup size are you currently?  What cup size would you like to be?  What is the diameter of your breast measured in centimeters from the most medial part of your breast to the most lateral dimension of your breast measure?   If it's, let's say, 14.5 centimeters, I would look this up on the chart of the breast implant manufacturer and will choose an implant that would fit your breast dimensions.  That might mean we choose an implant that is a low profile 450 cc  or 420 cc implant.  If you wanted to go bigger than we would increase the profile to a moderate profile and choose a 533 cc implant. 

Hopefully this helps!!

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Profiles of Implants

+1

The profile of the implant refers to how far the implant projects from your chest. For the same width of implant, a higher profile implant is usually about 100cc's larger volume and a bra cup size larger. In other words, if a mid range profile implant of the same width makes you a c-cup, the high profile implant with the same width will make you a d-cup. In the higher profile implant, your nipple will be pushed further away from your chest in the side view, wheras the width of the implant from the front view can be about the same. It is important to have an implant with a width that fits your body have an appropriate space between the breasts. Usually if you need a lift, a high profile implant will make your breast size quite large which would put you at even more risk for recurrent sagging.

Michael Horn, MD