Which is the Best Brand of Silicone Sheeting for Keloid Scars After Breast Augmentation?

I have pretty bad bumpy and red keloids under my breast folds and am getting implants removed along with the keloids. Do heavy implants have any effects on the keloids? For prevention, I am going to put sheeting onto the new scar, so was wondering which brand is preferred if I want to order silicone sheeting? I will probably order one online.

Silicone Sheeting or Occlusive Tapes for Keloid Scars

+2

Silicone Sheeting or Occlusive Tapes may be used to 'soften' Keloid Scars. Clear, adherent, thin occlusive tapes such as Tegaderm, offer a great alternative, with same efficacy. An advantage of this clear tape is that it does not have to be replaced daily, and it may be left in place for as long as it lasts adhered to the skin (up to one week).  Then it may be replaced by a new tape. In order to prevent keloid recurrence after your keloid excision, I too recommend close monitoring by your doctor, with early intervention with kenalog injection, vascular lasers and/or fractional resurfacing lasers. 

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Silicone Sheeting after Breast Augmentation

+2

Thanks for the note!  There is no preferred brand in my practice after Breast Augmentation, since I am not certain that silicone sheeting is effective beyond placebo for scars. If you are going to use the products, I would find the most affordable generic version.  Your surgeon's office is probably the best resource.  Sometimes we have samples.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Scar removal and scar treatment for breast implant scars

+1

Keloid and thickened scars on the breast after breast surgery can be improved with a combination of pulsed dye laser, IIT, and fractional co2 laser.  Breast scar revision is amazing for women who suffer with scars after cosmetic procedures.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Talk all precautions if you already have a history of hypertrophic scarring.

+1

Cica-Care, NewGel, and good old fashioned paper tape all work very well.  Compliance in keeping it on 23.5 hours a day is the key to having it work.

Discuss specifics with your surgeon. Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation

+1

I tell my patients who have issues with keloid scars to get Cordan Tape. I rarely have patients that have issues with breast scars but once in awhile it can happen; especially on darker skin. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Silicone sheeting will not prevent Keloids

+1

My advice is to consult with your board certified plastic surgeon who did your procedure regarding the scars.  If you truly have keloids (unlikely as most people think but do not) silicone sheets will not prevent or correct this condition.  You may need injections with Kenalog or topicals steroids which also come in form of a tape (Cordran Tape).  In my practice we use Oleeva scar forms, however, other brands maybe used as well. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Silicone sheeting for scars

+1

I like NewGel from NewMedical Technology, simply because it seems to stick better than the others and is therefore more convenient to use.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon