Can You Tell by the Box/packaging if You Really Received Juvederm?

I had juvederm injection's last week but I have suspicions that they were fake, as my lips were bleeding really bad as she was pointing the shringe downward's and there was alot of blood, can you tell by the box it came in as it came in a white box with yellow on it with the word soft.

Is My Juvederm Real?

+3

Hi,

The answer to your question is that every syringe of Juvederm from Allergan comes in a sealed container.  Inside there are four labels with the lot number and expiration date for that syringe of Juvederm.  All of the forms of Juvederm available from Allergan come in purple boxes.  There is a new size just announced but not released yet which is a 1cc syringe.

Dr. Liu

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+2

In my office I always use new syringes and always open them in front of patients so that they know that they are getting new and authentic product.  I only use products obtained directly from the manufacturer to ensure quality.  My juvederm comes in purple boxes.  

Unfortunately patients may not realize that when pricing is low, the product may not be authentic.  Please seek out your injector based on quality and not necessarily cost as you often get what you pay for.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Fillers have characteristic packaging

+2

You should always go to a very reputable physician for injection of dermal fillers. They will not inject suspect material ever. Juvederm comes in a purple box. Also if the cost was below market average then that may increase your suspicions.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Filler and Botox

+2

The best way to know if you are having genuine product is to have be injected by a board certified plastic surgeon.  During your appointment, ask to see the product box if you want.  I always open all products in front of my patients so they can see exactly what they are receiving.  I also mix all Botox right in front of the patient so they know they are not receiving diluted or old Botox, as occurs in many medspas and non-plastic surgery offices.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Filler material

+2

The filler material injected always comes in a box labelled with the product.  You should be able to see it.

Juvederm real?

+2

If you are unsure of what you had injected you should go back and ask to see your chart. Most dermatologists put the lot numbers in the charts for purposes of identification in case of such problems or recalls, etc. Most fillers come with sticker that peels off the syringe and sticks in chart. I also agree with others about the fact that dermatologists have been using these products for the longest time. That being said, there are plenty of plastic surgeons that can do this well. However , stay away from the "bargain practitioners"

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Juvederm Packaging

+2

In this country Juvederm comes in a purple and pink box.  Bleeding from injections in the lips is common so that is not a "red flag."  The important thing is to go to an experienced injector,and if you live in the States, ask to see the box!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Juvederm and other fillers can cause bleeding and bruising

+2

I agree with Dr. Schwartz, your results depend on who you go to and their experience.  Dermatologists, on average, see many more patients and spend much more time doing injectable treatments (Botox, Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse, Artefill) than any other speciality.  Most plastic surgeons spend more of their time doing what they were trained for, surgery, than they do injectables.  Plus dermatologists have been doing injectables for over 20 years, starting with collagen injections in the 1980's, while most plastic surgeons just started doing injectables in the last 10 years when they saw the direction that rejuvenating treatments were going.  Of course there are exceptions to everything, and I know some plastic surgeons who are great injectors.  The important thing is to find a cosmetic specialist who has background training in dermatology, plastic surgery, Oculoplastics or facial plastics, AND does a lot of injectables.  If they do, they will usually be toward the top of the list when you search for a doctor on the Botox.com or Juvederm.com websites.  Don't go to a medispa unless it is attached to a reputable specialist's office.  Free standing medispas tend to either have no physician associated with them or the physician is a non- cosmetic specialist, such as an ER doctor, anesthesiologist or family practioner, hiding his true specialty under the "med spa" signage.  Also go by recommendations and/or look up a physician in your area here at real self.com and read their reviews.  Only specialists are allowed to answer questions on real.com.  As for whether your product was real or fake, Juvederm comes in a purple/pink box.  It doesn't sound as if you got the real thing.  Bleeding however can occur with any filler, but is minimized with good technique unless you were taking Advil, aspirin or similar products.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

How to tell if it's fake Juvederm

+2

First of all, please ignore advice, such as that below, from plastic surgeons suggesting you only see a plastic surgeon. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector, not their specialty, is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors. A reputable physician will not use "illegal" products.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Proper Juvederm Packaging

+2

Great filler and Botox results by seeing a reputable Plastic surgeon instead of getting your treatments in salons, spas or worse, no medical "practitioners". Thanks to China and easy black and gray market imports from "Canadian pharmacies" such individuals commonly sell cheap "Botox, Juvederm, Restylane " and many other injectables at steep discounts because they are paying a fraction of what the authentic products are sold for in the US to doctors by its manufacturers. 

You have the right to see the box and syringe of every product injected into you. Just ask for them. The manufacturers now commonly have hard to fake holographic labels on authentic packages and syringes. 

In the US current Juvederm boxes have a purple and gold coloring. You can look it up on the Allergan website. The importation and use of fake or gray medicines is a federal crime punishable by fines and prison time.