Why Does the Bottom of the Breast Sometimes Flatten out After an Anchor Lift?

Is there anyway to prevent it?

No way to prevent flattening out of bottom after an anchor lift

+3

The reason why the bottom of an anchor lift flattens out is very simple. There is no internal support and the vertical incision makes this technique technically faulty. First of all, most lifting techniques rely solely on the skin envelope to hold the weight of the breast. And, as ALL women know, this is simply not enough! The vertical incision further weakens the skin by its inherent location. Think of it this way: if you put a seam right at the point of maximum tension, this is exactly the place where the repair will stretch (bottoming out) or tear (dehisence).  A new class of lifting techniques have been developed using engineering principles to adress these issues. The Ultimate Breast Lift/Reduction reconstructs your own breast tissue into a cone and fashions straps made from excess skin to then attach them on to the underlying muscles for a more permanent lift. There are no vertical scars. Breasts are high and perky and remain so. I hope this  helps. Best wishes,

Dr. Horndeski

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Flat breasts

+2

Flat breasts can happen for several reasons.  1) too much skin was removed  in the vertical closure which pushes the breast flat. 2) there is no support to the breast and it falls to the sides, 3) too much tissue was removed.  There are many different techniques to minimize this risk. 

You need to shape the breast and skin to get the best result

+2

Everybody has their own opinion on breast lifting, but in my opinion the best operation is the central pedicle free hand breast lift.  The reason I think this is best is that it addresses all the problems in the patient who needs a lift.  The breast mound is shaped into a cone and the skin envelope is also custom shaped to tighten the lower pole and add projection using thick skin flaps for excellent support.

The problem with other techniques as I see them is that they either shape the skin and not the breast mound (inferior pedicle reductions which retain the attachments of the skin at the bottom of the breast and are prone to bottoming out), or shape the breast and not the skin as in the vertical or lollipop lift which has some really strange shapes and asymmetries and doesn't address the excess skin adequately.

I will defend my position by asking you to refer to my photos on my web site.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS