5 days post op of Botox. Does the botox used for jaw reduction appear to be working? (photos)

I had botox performed five days ago. I am tracking my progress because it does not appear to be very noticeable. I am not sure if it is working for me and would like some opinion in order to determine if I should get it again. I will add more photos with time.

Not enough time for the botox to show an effect...

+2
even when the goal is simply making the muscles not contract...always want to wait 10 -14 days to see the effect...but for the masseter muscle the idea is to allow the muscle to shrink...and that takes a longer period of time...give it a month and then take a good look...

Botox for Masseter Reduction

+1
Botox can be very effective for treating enlarged masseters but may require more than one treatment to experience the full benefit. The key to success is correct placement and an adequate dose (number of units). You did not mention how many units were used, but if after 2 weeks, you can still clench and cause the masseter muscles to bulge out, you may need additional injections. Reduction in size of the masseters is gradual and I ask patients to allow at least one month to see results and to be prepared for additional treatments if greater reduction of masseter size is desired.

Vivian Bucay, MD, FAAD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for masseter reduction and jaw tapering

+1
The easiest way to track the progress of your Botox is by touching the sides of your jaw (angle of mandible) and comparing the bulge of your muscle when relaxed vs. clenched.  Botox in the masseter will begin to work in 1-2 days, and will have the full effect in a week.  If you still have significant movement after 2 weeks, you will need some additional Botox to fully treat the muscle.

Once the masseter muscle is fully treated, just like any muscle that is not allowed to "work out" it will become smaller and thinner over the next month.  After an initial treatment the most noticeable difference usually comes ~1 mo after the injection.  The muscle will continue to taper with serial treatments.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Jaw reduction with botox

+1
It is far too soon for any effect to be seen. Botox for jaw reduction achieves its effect gradually over weeks and may need repeat treatment for greater reduction. It is not achieved in a matter of days and maybe not by a single treatment.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Botox for jaw reduction

+1
Treatment with Botox for this indication is actually a process. For the first treatment, typically a smaller dose is used to avoid weakening the ability to chew tougher foods, and this may need to be supplemented with more Botox depending upon the response.  To actually reduce the bulk of the muscle significantly requires time and repeated treatments every 4 to 6 months.  If you maintain the treatments, the required dose will then decrease and you may be able to have the treatment less often as well.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

3-5 days to feel weakness; 2+ weeks to see shrinkage

+1
Hi JimB,

At 5 days, you should feel some effect of the Botox which should make chewing food more tiring, since the muscle is weaker. This is assuming that you received a large enough dose to weaken the muscle. For the masseter, I will use between 15 to up to 45 units or more per side depending on the size and bulk of the patient's masseter muscle at rest. 

To see visible narrowing of the jaw width and reduction of the squareness of the jaw to a more heart shaped appearance takes at least 2 weeks for the bulk of the muscle to shrink (atrophy), the Botox needs to be injected for a bulky (hypertrophied) relaxed masseter. If the masseter is only bulky when biting down, but narrow at rest, then the Botox will only make the muscle difficult to contract and appear the same as it does when it is relaxed.  A before and after photo from the front view will look essentially the same. If the squareness is from protruding bone, you will not see much improvement from Botox. The take home point is that Botox has to be injected for the right reason and does not work for everyone if their problem is bone related. 

Many patients have a problem with grinding their teeth AKA bruxism. Their dentists will comment that they are wearing down their molars or are starting to have cracks on the enamel at the neck of the tooth. These patients are usually recommended to wear a bite guard. Botox for these patients can be very helpful in reducing tension in the jaw and head.  For these patients, they feel relief, but may not see a significant narrowing in the width of the jaw or squareness.  They may get Botox earlier when they feel tension as opposed to waiting until they see the jaw width and squareness begin to return. 

These bruxism patients may be the same as the wide/square jaw patients. Typically they get the Botox at shorter intervals 5-6 months as opposed to 7-9 months for purely cosmetic. I will use a smaller dose to maintain weakness, but not as big of a dose to further narrow their width, since a very narrow jaw can look weak and sickly. 

Hope this helps.

Dr. Yang

P.S. There is a new feature on Realself, which is the "Follow" button. It is similar to the "Like" button on Facebook. If you like my response or any of the doctor responses while you research on Realself, you should "Follow" them. You will get email updates, when the doctors you follow post any new answers to questions, post new photos, or have any new reviews.

George Yang, MD

Results from Botox to jawline take longer

+1
Botox takes up to 14 days for the full effects to be seen in the upper face region. In the lower face/jawline it can even take longer because that muscle is larger and needs more time to see results. Don't panic. Give it time to work.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox

+1
I agree with dr Landow. 
Is so early for the results
Normaly  you beggin to see the results at the 7 to 10 days, but
give 2 weeks to see results.

Humberto Cantu, MD
Mexico Dermatologist

Botox for Jawline improvement

+1
It is difficult to answer your question not knowing exactly where you had the botox applied.  Sometimes botox can be used to treat the masseter muscles to create a more narrow appearance near the back of the jawline.  In general, Botox takes 5-10 days to have its full effect no matter where you have it applied.  At the 2 week point you should realize the full initial effect.  You may have some continued improvements as the muscle atrophies over time and repeated injections.

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon