Can I Use the Boil and Bite Mouthgaurd As a Temporary Retainer?

My dog ate my retainer just recently, it's invisalign. I really don't want my teeth to shift, to go back to braces. I was wondering if the boil and bite mouthgaurd would work as a temporary mouthgaurd.

Boil and bite mouthguards will not retain teeth

+1

The boil and bite mouthguard will not hold teeth well as it is too soft and will not fit anywhere near as well as a custom made retainer.  Please return to your dentist and have a temporary retainer and a new retainer made.  They can probably get you a temporary in a day or two and the new proper retainer in a week or two.  Protect your investment with a proper retainer because if the teeth move, there's no quick way to move them back - just Invisalign again.

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Boil and Bite Mouthguard is NOT Good as a Temporary Retainer

+1

Unfortunately, the boil-n-bites do not conform to your teeth as precisely as a custom made appliance. You are better off having your dentist order you a new retainer from Invisalign, he should be able to do so without having to see you for an impression, as long as you have not had any new dentistry in your mouth since completing the Invisalign. You should be able to receive your new retainer in a week or 2..If you still have the last set of Invisalign Aligners that you wore just before getting the retainers, that would be a good temporary retainer.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Boil and Bite Mouthguard for Retainer?

+1

You probably could use a boil-and-bite mouthguard to retain your teeth for a very short period. For example if you were on vacation, or while waiting for a replacement.

But it would be best to call your dentist or orthodontist (the one that gave you the Invisalign retainer) and ask them to order a replacement.  If you had a real Invisalign retainer, your dentist should be able to get a replacement in about a week.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Alper

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist