Considering the Body's Healing Process Alone, is It Better to Have a Corrective Surgery Right Away, or Wait After Full Healing?

When it comes to breast augmentation, all doctors recommend patients wait a few months after surgery to see what the final results really. If we were to take that variable out of the equation completely, and consider ONLY what is best for the patient's physical recovery - would it be best to have a corrective surgery to change sizes (go 75-100ccs smaller/bigger, NO drastic change) within a week or two of the initial surgery, or wait until healing is complete? Please help urgently.

Time Required To Undego A Breast Augmentation Revision

+2

Dear Amy,

Reoperating too quickly increases your risk of infection and complications.

Also, being patient to attain the final results is essential to better assess the outcome of the surgery.

Often, patients who wait for final results of their surgeries to become established will have a great satisfaction without feeling the urge to undergo a revision.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Reoperating

+2

Reoperating too soon is definitely a bad idea for several reasons.  Re-entering the pocket too soon can increase your risk of infection, so for that reason alone it is not a good idea.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Corrective breast surgery

+2

In my opinion, it is best to wait a few months until the swelling has come down and the breasts have healed and are soft again before undergoing revision surgery.

Timing with regard to corrective/revision breast implant surgery

+2

If the patient realizes shortly after surgery that they are significantly smaller than they envisioned they would be, revision surgery can technically be performed at any point.  I prefer to allow a large amount of the swelling to resolve, probably in the 6-8 week range, before revision surgery is done, so that the surgery from the first swelling does not interfere with visual calculations with regard to the ultimate result. Thankfully, this is a rare circumstance.  If the patient is larger than they thought they would be, I feel waiting 6 months, for all the swelling to go away, is very reasonable. Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

Timing of Revisionary Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+2

There is no evidence that suggests that undergoing “early” revisionary surgery is better for a patient's “physical recovery”. Generally speaking, revisionary breast surgery tends to be an easier recovery (with less discomfort)  than first-time breast augmentation surgery.

I routinely suggest that patients wait at least 3 to 6 months after before  making any decisions regarding the results of their breast augmentation surgery.  This waiting time will allow them to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.

Revisionary breast surgery

+1

There are real advantages to waiting 3-6 months before re operating on the breasts not only in terms of your physical recovery but also in terms of the final breast aesthetics. The breast implant augments the breast but also serves as a tissue expander. The muscle and skin will stretch to accept the device and the capsule will form. This process takes about 3 months before the final breast aesthetic is established. It is not uncommon to see a narrow chest with tight skin accept a significantly larger implant with a better aesthetic result after a year of the first augmentation. If there are asymmetries or differences in the implant position or breasts these can be addressed during the secondary procedure. Also the recovery will be easier from an implant exchange than from the original operation.

Although it is tempting to want to return to the OR immediately because you want a larger implant, you are better off waiting the body has healed completely.

Not what you wanted to hear I am sure but I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Timing

+1

It is best to wait for swelling and hardness to resolve before revision surgery.  This will give you the most predictable result.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Sugeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Revision Breast Surgery

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

My recommendation would be to wait for several months ( 4 - 6 ) prior to undergoing a revision surgery. As my colleagues mentioned, generally speaking this is standard practice and the time will allow for swelling to reside and the breasts to settle.  Additionally, if you are considering going bigger, this time would allow for tissue expansion  - in some cases, this may be necessary to accommodate a bigger implant and avoid associated risks of going too big too early.  I recommend following up with your plastic surgeon to discuss your specific needs, desires, and circumstances. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Timing of revision breast surgery

+1

I cannot think of one case where it would be in your best interest to change anything abruptly.  It would be very likely that you would again change your mind in another few months.  Be your own best friend.  Don't make any hasty judgemnets so soon after a surgical procedure.

Talmage Raine MD FACS  drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Healing

+1

It would certainly be best to wait until you have healed.  You want to make sure all of the swelling is resolved and you know what your final results are before making any decisions to go smaller or bigger. 

John Hensel, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon