Is It True That The Bigger Your Lips Are to Begin With, the More Natural Lip Augmentation Looks

I am considering lip augmentation with some sort of filler and I've always thought that the bigger your real lips are to begin with, the more natural lip augmentation looks. I do not have thin lips at all(they are quite full compared to some people) but I would like a little bit of extra fullness and I'm hoping the fact I do not have thin lips to start with will mean my results will look very natural and not 'over plumped.' Is this the case or am I wrong?

Achieving Natural Lip Augmentation With Fillers Like Juvederm

+1

I can understand why it might seem that lip augmentation might look more natural in individuals who already have substantial lip volume.

However the natural quality of the outcome really depends on the type of filler used. Some injection gels are thicker than others.

Juvederm is made of hyaluronic acid, which is a natural compound already found in your body. It diffuses easily into the existing tissue and basically adds volume by hydrating and augmenting the area. Patients like the soft appearance that it gives.

If you want to avoid looking over plumped, have your physician start with a conservative amount to start. You can add more if you feel this is necessary. 

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation - Results Should Look Very Natural

+1

Lip augmentation on any type or size of lips should be done conservatively and with the goal of achieving natural-appearing results.  The best results are the ones where it doesn't look like anything was done.  In our practice we use injectable fillers for lip augmentation and my philosophy is that you can always go back and add a little more. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced in lip augmentation to discuss your goals and treatment options.  The link below offers before and after photos of lip augmentation achieved with liquid injectable silicone. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

+1

No, not necessarilly.  There are certainly examples of people, with large lips, that look deformed and mis-shapen.  Understanding and following the proper aesthetics of facial beauty IMO, is the key in the creation of full, attractive lips with the correct aesthetoic proportion.  There's no inherent magic in any filler or lip implant but rather this magic, to create beauty, must reside in the MD performing the filler injections or lip implant placement.  

Enlarging full lips

+1

The only way to find out if lip enhancement is for you is to try it using one of the HA product fillers. This result of this injected  material can be reversed if you do not like the look.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural Appearing Lip Augmentation

+1

No matter what method of lip augmentation you choose to have (fillers or implant), if done well, your lips should look natural.  The goal is NOT to look like you've had something done.  Please consult with a specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Lip Enhancements should look natural no matter what size you start out with.

+1

The smaller your lips are to start with, then the more dramatic the change but they should look natural no matter what size you have.  Whether it is fillers for $550/syringe such as restylane/juvederm or permanent implants for $1500-2000/implant, you should look natural.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon