What Are the Benefits of Having a Mommy Makeover Bra Lift on 40-year-old Breasts?

Is it advisable to combine a bra lift with other mommy makeover procedures at the same time/same surgery? 

Perceived benefits of any aesthetic procedure will be personal

+1

Hi there-

A well-done breast lift will re-shape your breasts and make them look younger and firmer.

Whether or not this would make the procedure "worth it" for you is something only you could decide, after a careful discussion with an ethical and skilled plastic surgeon.

As far as whether or not to do this at the time of other Mommy Makeover procedures, as long as you are healthy and al of the procedures can be completed in 6 hours or less, there are many benefits to you of combining them.

The total cost of your surgery will usually be lower than if you did not combine them, and you will only have one recovery period, with one absence from work, and one period away from your preferred lifestyle and family responsibilities. Most people would opt for this option for those reasons.

Breast lift with other surgery.

+1

Breast lift is my favorite procedure because of the very high patient satisfaction and a pretty easy recovery.  If you are healthy and the other procedure(s) aren't taking most of the day, adding a lift may be reasonable.  Your surgeon likely has a maximum time for a procedure based on his/her experience and endurance.  I don't like to go much over 6 hours myself. 

The benefits of a lift are shapely and perky breasts.  The trade-off are scars.  Discuss this with your surgeon.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Breastlift

+1

A breastlift procedure is designed to lift and help reposition the breast and nipple to a more elevated and youthful position.  Post pregnance breasts can often shrink and droop.  The lift helps to reshape the breast to a more rounded, projected shape.  The benefit corrects the sagging of the breast.  Many times a breast implant is added to the procedure either immediately or as a second stage to help replace lost volume and enhance upper breast fullness.  I hope this information is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Mommy Makeover--What about breast lifting?

+1

By the way, even though you may be in your early 40's, your breasts have probably only been "present and accounted for" for about 30 years! They are definitely NOT too "old" to be perky and youthful! After childbirth and breast feeding, your abdominal wall has been stretched (skin AND muscles) and your breasts have been enlarged and deflated, causing differing degrees of sagging for different women. So even if you have lost all of the weight related to your pregnancy(ies), you cannot "exercise" skin! The trade-off is scarring of the tummy and breasts, and that is where a skilled plastic surgeon comes into play.

"Mommy makeovers" are terms non-physicians use to describe a set of potential procedures involving the abdomen (tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, sometimes mini-tucks, and also sometimes adding liposuction of one or more areas) and breasts (breast augmentation with implants, full or partial breast lifts, or sometimes breast lifts plus implants). The exact procedure(s) depend on examination by your plastic surgeon, your anatomy after  childbearing, your own cosmetic goals, and what you and your surgeon decide is the best way to address your abdomen and breast concerns. "Mommy makeovers" generally imply that the breast and abdominal procedures are done at the same operation.

If your breasts have nipple-areola complexes that point downward rather than forward, or if the position of the nipple is at or below the level of your inframammary crease (put a pencil in your crease and look at your breasts in the mirror), you may well require some sort of breast lift procedure. BTW, breast implants DO NOT LIFT BREASTS! They can fill a loose skin brassiere, and can provide some degree of lower pole fullness that makes the nipple-to-breast mound relationship look better, but implants do not lift, they fill!

As far as combining procedures, I do this safely all the time, as do most if not all of my ABPS-certified plastic surgeon colleagues. A personal consultation can determine your exact anatomic situation, your surgeon's recommendations, and then you can decide how you would like to proceed! The RIGHT decision is a collaboration with your surgeon to best reach your goals safely! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely

+1

The mommy makeover is an extremely popular procedure and includes breast surgery and a tummy tuck.  The important  of evaluating your health can not be over emphasized.  The breast lift does a great job and sometimes a implant in needed if the volume is too small.  Your plastic surgeon will let you know if you are a good candidate.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

A mommy makeover is great for restoring breast volume and shape after childbirth

+1

A mommy makeover (tummy tuck and breast lift and/or breast augmentation) is great for lifting the breasts and restoring lost volume after childbirth.  The tummy tuck can remove the excess skin that remains after pregnancy and it also tightens the muscles of the abdomen.  For the breasts, silicone or saline implants can be used (both are FDA approved and safe.) 

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Bra lift

+1

Always patients need to consider trading a correction of a problem with a permanent scar. Depending on your health, it is possible to combine various procedures in one setting.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Benefits of breast lifts

+1

The decision for you is based on what your breasts look like, how much you dislike them and your willingness to trade some permanent scars to elevate the nipples and tighten the breast skin.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover and Bra Lift

+1

The advantages and disadvantages of any procedure depend on each individual patient's needs. With such limited information, it is had to make any comments.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures

+1

I am not sure if what you mean by a bra lift is an upper body lift designed to removed the tissue in the lateral chest onto the upper back? I think this procedure can be combined effectively with a breast lift.  If you are also trying to have a lower body lift at the same time, in my practice that would be too much surgery.  If you are having a tummy tuck only, I would consider if you are a good candidate.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD