Is the Belly Button Always Removed During Abdominoplasty? (photo)

I had an Abdominoplasty December 28th, and my BB was not moved, at the time I thought nothing of it but now I am almost eight weeks Post op and am very unhappy with what I am seeing.Is it possible that he did muscle repair being i have side to side cut and was extremely uncomfortable? I am a little swollen but very unhappy with the bagginess around my BB area

Belly Buttons and Abdominoplasty

+1

After reviewing your post-operative Abdominoplasty photographs it appears that your belly button was not moved. Removal of the belly button is not part of a standard abdominoplasty. Usually, in a full Abdominoplasty, the surgeon makes a complete incision around the umbilicus in order to further mobilize the upper abdominal skin and fat. Then the abdominal tissue is pulled downward and the excess abdominal tissue is excised. Next, a small midline incision is made and the belly button is brought out and sewn to the surrounding abdominal skin. I recommend that you follow up with your surgeon. If you are not satisfied you can always consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a second opinion.

Belly button after a tummy tuck

+1

The belly button has a deep attachment to the abdominal wall and isn't moved very much at all during a tummy tuck. The belly button has a stalk that remains attached even though the skin around the belly button is incised during surgery. The belly button may look different after surgery for these reasons. As for the irregular contour on your right side, I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon and see if this can be revised in the future with liposuction and possible skin excision.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Poor result after tummy tuck

+1

There are multiple potential issues with your tummy tuck. To get an accurate answer, photos from before your surgery would help as well as photos from the side. The scar is quite asymmetric. Perhaps there is a good reason for this if there was something unusual before surgery. There is usually a "new" belly button after a tummy tuck. Technically, its the same belly button but the skin around it has been relocated. I would suggest getting a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon. Make sure to bring "before" photos to your consultation.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfactory Results after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Undoubtedly, the results of your tummy tuck surgery are less than satisfactory. I think that you will benefit from revisionary surgery to help with many aspects of the outcome. When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.

Tummy Tuck Problems

+1

It looks to me like you had a panniculectomy instead of an abdominoplasty. If there was a lot of skin hanging over your pubis then managing the weight during resection is very difficult.  I agree that the scar is too high and there is too much upper abdominal laxity.  You will need a revision after the scars mature including relocating the belly button after the skin is tightened.

Raymond A. Faires, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Belly button and tummy tuck

+1

In a traditional tummy tuck, the belly button is separated from the abdominal wall, to allow the excess skin to be removed.  It is then brought out again through the tighter skin but in the same location.  It looks like this was not done in your case, making your surgery more of a mini-tummy tuck.  At two months you do have some swelling still.  As that subsides you might become  happier with your result.  If not,  you should voice your concerns with your surgeon and explore what your options might be. 

Douglas Hargrave.M.D.

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Poor result after a tummy tuck

+1

I think my colleagues have adequately addressed the question about the belly button. I agree with Dr. Blinski that your TT result is poor. The scar is too high and very asymmetric and represents very poor pre-surgical marking and surgical execution. You should wait about 6-12 months, but you may want to see another surgeon for discussing a revision. I am not sure if your first surgeon was a board certified plastic surgeon, but make sure your next one is.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Belly button is spared during tummy tuck

+1

The belly button in a full tummy tuck is left in place and the skin pulled down and over. The belly button is then brought through anew staying in the original location. A partial or a lower tummy tuck will address the skin below the belly button only, much as in your photo.

Belly button in a tummy tuck

+1

In a standard full tummy tuck, the belly button is detached from the tummy skin and repositioned once the excess skin has been taken out. In mini-tummy tuck and apronectomy, the belly button is not moved. Obviously a better and tighter tummy is the outcome with a full tummy tuck.

Though you have not shown any 'before' photos, it is easy to see why you are unhappy with the result. There is asymmetry and excess skin in the tummy. Though the appearance will improve with time, further surgery might be the way if you wish a perfect result.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Is the Belly Button Always Removed During Abdominoplasty?

+1

To me the issue concern your belly button is not the primary concern. The poorly planned and done extended mini TT is! You need IN PERSO second opinion consults to be shown the need for revision to a full TT. Sorry.