Is the Belly Button Positioned Too Low Post Tummy Tuck? What Do You Think About Results? (photo)

Before and 8 weeks after photos.

Belly button positioning after a tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your pictures, but it's hard to tell without see you.  However, I would wait 2-3 months to determine the final position.  If it's not where you want it may need to be adjusted slightly.

Where to put the bellybutton?

+1

It's a bit hard to guide you without knowing your previous medical history and the decisions that were made involving your previous tummy tuck. From the photos it looks like you had a panniculectomy which is a simple removal of skin and fat that is hanging from the lower abdomen.

The pictures that you show seem to have the bellybutton in a sort of OK position, but you still seem to have a lot of extra skin.  It may be that your surgeon had to tailor your surgery for specific indications and for safety reasons.

Provided that you're healthy and can continue a good regimen of diet and exercise based on the photos that I see you may be a good candidate for another tummy tuck in the future. They healthier and the more slender that you can be the safer and more gratifying your final outcome will be.

At eight weeks out your final results still bears watching.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck vs Panniculectomy? Which is Right and When should you have it done?

+1

It looks like you had a panniculectomy.  This may have been the right operation for you if you have health issues precluding you from undergoing a more involved Full Tummy Tuck operation or if you are intending to lose more weight. Tummy Tucks are not a weight loss operation.  It is usually done on patients who have lost all of their excess weight, leaving them with excess skin, or after having children resulting in excess skin.   

The  procedure you had, (a Panniculectomy) is only done to remove the overhanging roll of skin.  It doesn't reposition your belly button like in a Full Tummy Tuck, but it does pull it down.   I often do this operation in patients who are in the midst of weight loss, still have a ways to go, but are being plagued by the excess skin getting in the way or with infections beneath the roll of excess skin.  This is not a "cosmetic" procedure.  If it was performed purely for cosmetic reasons, I would have recommended additional weight loss or maybe some additional liposuction of your abdomen to improve the contour in the interim while you lose more weight. 

There is no point in undergoing a Full Tummy Tuck if you are still going to lose a significant amount of weight and then have to do it all over again.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

This isn't a "too-low" belly button. It is a poor (or incorrect) operation.

+1

I'm sorry to tell you this after the pain and expense of your operation, but this is not a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) result that any ABPS-certified plastic surgeon would be proud of. I reiterate my colleagues' concern that you have not been operated on by a fully-trained, American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeon, or that perhaps you received insurance coverage for a panniculectomy, had that procedure, and were hoping for true abdominoplasty results.

Your belly button isn't too low--it appears as if it's right where your Creator and mother put it! It also appears as if you did not have muscle plication or umbilical transposition, which are part of abdominoplasty, but not panniculectomy.

You need to let this all heal, see one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons, and obtain information about the proper operation to undergo. You would obtain your best results if you can successfully lose weight in the interim as well. Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Your Tummy Tuck results are not ideal

+1

Unfortunately I think your results are not ideal and I am assuming far from what you thought you would get.  You may benefit from a revisional procedure. I would need to evaluate you in person to see exactly what can be done, but I think there may be ways to improve your results.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Belly button position after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for posting your photos.

Was your surgeon a board certified Plastic Surgeon? You might have had a panniculectomy, the removal of the apron of excess skin and fat bellow the belly button. It doesn't look like you had a tummy tuck, which is a completely different operation. Check back with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Position after Tummy Tuck

+1

Was your surgeon a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon?

Did you have a panniculectomy or a standard abdominoplasty?

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon