What Can I Do About the BB Scar from the TT?

I have had a TT 7wks ago.I am curious as to why I have a scar around the BB.I didn't expect it to be so noticeable.My doc says Laser will help it to fade quicker.I want to wear a swimsuit this season but it most definitely will be too obvious to do so.I was unaware due to seeing online pics that there was a scar around the BB.Does this happen every time?Also if you do not like the new BB shape what can be done?Mine is now oval instead of round.He wants me to wait a while b4 making any decisions.

Scar

+2

Scar therapy in the interim is a good idea. It takes 9-12 months for the redness to subside. Waiting has a clear advantage. The shape may change as well

Hello

+2

Having a scar around your BB for a tummy tuck is norma the only time you wont have a scar is if you had a mini tuck. Time will make it fade, but you can also use medical grade products to help improve it faster. Scar guard and other products are good. You should do some research in that.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

+2

A photo would help us make more useful responses to your question.

Most of the time there is a scar around the navel. Exceptions are when the patient has a mini-tummy tuck, which is seldom a good option. This only treats the lower half of the abdomen, and most TT patients have a problem over the entire abdomen. Occasionally, it may be advisable to move the navel to a lower location, but again it is an unusual patient for whom this is a good option. I would guess that 90 % of TT patients have an incision around the navel. 

Seven weeks is way to early to think about a revision. The incision will mature and improve over the course of a year. Doing an operation now will just set the clock back by a couple of months. In terms of shape, I would not guess without a photo to look at.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. Stay in communication with your surgeon.

Belly button scar tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

You can wait as your doctor says and this is correct.  However, in my opinion, if you have visible scars around your belly button, then you will need an umbilicoplasty to make it more attractive.  More importantly, this will take away the noticability of the area.  The belly button should accent the flattened abdomen and not become a focal point.

There are many ways to improve this area but time is the right answer now.  Keep close to your ps to make sure that you have your options if time does not do the triick.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Unexpected Belly Button Scar after (Full) Tummy Tuck

+1

It is painfully obvious from your question that there was a lapse in communication between you and your surgeon.

Whenever there is skin excess above the belly button, that skin has to be pulled down along with the skin below the belly button. To allow the downward movement and flattening of the upper tummy skin the belly button must be separated from the adjacent tummy skin just like unbuttoning a button.The hole in the tummy skin is pulled inferiorly and after the excess skin is removed and the transverse wound is closed, the belly button, waiting under the skin, is re-exitedin its location through what WAS higher tummy skin - THIS is the reason for the scar around the belly button.

At this time your healing has just begun. I would wait a full 8 months before even thinking about it. To cheer yoursef up ask your surgeon to show you just how much progress you have made EVEN with your swelling.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Scar around Belly Button after Tummy Tuck

+1

I am sorry about your frustration with your belly button scar.    There are alot of options out there to improve the scar, but first and foremost we must give your body time to fully heal.  

At 7 weeks, you are far too early to consider anything more than silicone based treatments and massage therapy.     With time, this will help the scar lighten and hide better.

In the event that you build up significant scar tissue, you may require a steroid injection or scar revision.   I would give it 4-6 months before making those recommendations.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Scar after tummy tuck

+1
At seven weeks postop, your scar is in the inflammatory stage and it is too early to assess whether it is problematic. I would not rush into any procedure. Additionally, you should not expose your abdomen to the sun as this will impede healing.

Robert L. Kraft, MD