What determines the price of Facelifts?

What is the Average Surgeon's Fee for a Facelift? Are there different levels of certification for surgeons that might affect the price of a facelift? Should I look for higher priced surgeons if I want a better outcome, or should I be looking for other criteria?

The Price of a facelift

+4
The price of a facelift will depend on exactly what each person needs and the time required to perform surgery.  Surgeons base their fees on experience, expertise and demand of a procedure. A surgeon with a busy surgery schedule will likely have a higher price for any procedure than a surgeon who is not busy. To select a plastic surgeon, take your time researching , visiting websites, view many, many before and after photos and speak to former patients.
Beware of doctors who discount their fees. Discounting the value of professional services, especially surgery, is not good marketing - it is a sign of desperation. The best plastic surgeons are still busy in this contracting economy, and they are not discounting their fees. At the same time, the most expensive surgeon is not necessarily the most talented, so as a consumer you still have to research this carefully. There is much more to consider than just the price in dollars that you pay: is your surgeon actually listening to you, do they truly understand the appearance that you hope to achieve, do you feel that he or she will be easily available and attentive once the surgery has been performed. If you don't have a good feeling, don't stick around to 'save money', go somewhere else.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Facelift Surgery

+3

You have asked a very interesting question and received amazing feedback.  The only thing that I may add is to beware a provider that offers the same procedure at substantially reduced prices.  I would be suspicious of someone that is offering a surgery at half the cost of everyone else in town. 

Many of the horrific plastic surgery stories in the media revolve around a central theme: a patient wanted a procedure but couldn’t afford a board certified surgeon.  Use your intuition, if something feels too good to be true, it likely is.  Conversely, the most expensive surgeon in the area may not be the most talented.   

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Facelift surgery

+3

Experience and expertise generally drive the cost. Like with other procedures, a surgeon's ability to deliver predictable high level results is not the same from surgeon to surgeon. Those surgeon's who feel that their result is superior will price their work accordingly. Not all high priced surgeon are worth it and there is certainly a bit of "competition" within communities. On the other hand be wary of great deals. If it seems to good to be true it usually isn't so good.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Cost depends on how you define "facelift" plus many other factors.

+2

The cost will depend on what your facelift entails. Rather than using the term "facelift" we use "facial rejuvination" so patients at the get go realize that it is a customized experience.

I regularly see patients who have had a prior "facelift" but when I review their history and incisions they have had a forehead lift, blepharoplasty, dermabrasion, etc. which they do not recall.

Therefore before you consider cost, you have to consider what will be needed to customize your facial rejuvination and go from there.

You should ask to have the cost broken down into the components required:

• Professsional component for the operation itself
  • Operating room fees
  • Anesthesia fees
  • Lab work
  • Additional costs of overnight care either in hospital, overnight center, or home
  • etc.

Unfortunately it does resemble buying a car; You need to know make, model, options, warrantee etc.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Pricing for Facellift Surgery

+2

Thank you for your question.  Each office pricing differs depending on the experience of the surgeon, where the procedure is performed, what type of anesthesia is used and who administers it (and MD or a nurse)

There are many factors and you should make sure that you choose a board certified plastic surgeon with experience with facial surgery and ask to see his/her previous patients, read testimonials and make sure you are comfortable your surgeon.

Facelift price

+1
The cost of a facelift can far substantially between surgeons.  The thing that really can make a facelift costly depends on what other a la carte items you have along with the facelift and whether those things are worth the extra cost.  A basic facelft cost should start at around $7500.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Price of Facelift Determinant

+1

The key is to find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials and training who produces natural results and performs hundreds of facelifts a year.  Once these criteria are met, you can decide on other price factors.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

The price of facelifts

+1

The price of a facelift, or of any procedure for that matter, depends on the expertise and the training of the surgeon, and vary widely by geographical area.  Where the procedure is done (hospital, ASC, or office and type of anesthesia also factor into the equation. You do not want to pick the cheapest (there is nothing more expensive than having to go to another surgeon to fix the results of the first) and not necessarily the most expensive either.  Pick a surgeon who has had a lot of experience and view before and after photos critically.  Pick someone with whom you have confidence and trust.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chosing a Surgeon

+1

While there are differences among ABFPRS and ABPS training, both specialties are well versed in facial rejuvenation surgery.  They key is to meet  with a couple of different surgeons and look at B&A photos as well as spending time with the surgeon and staff.  Facelift surgery requires a moderate amount of time to complete and the follow up is fairly intense so its important you feel really good about your choice.  The same goes for the surgeon.  I generally will meet with every patient twice, and sometimes even three times before surgery to be certain that all the goals are clearly discussed. 

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face Lift Pricing

+1

Surgical fees vary dramatically depending on the area of the country. Even in the same city, the prices can vary.  Expertise and Experience are factors. Surgeons with their own surgical facility can control costs better than those who need to reserve space.  Surgeons with long term relationship with anesthesiologists tend to be able to getter better financial terms than those without the relationship.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS