Can the Areolas Be Resized Without Having a Lift? (photo)

Hi, I've just had my 2nd breast augmentation done.I am as unhappy with them now as my first surgery. My areolas are large and misshapen due to weightlose, kids, etc., My PS claimed he liked my nipple placement and that my previous implants were too small so he suggested larger implants would give me the volume i needed. in my opinion my breast look the same as before just larger. I think the areolas are what are making me unhappy. Is there a way to resize them without a lift? Please help!

Strongly consider a breast lift

+2

The areolas can be reduced without a full lift.  But that will leave a scar around the areolas and won't make your breasts as attractive as a verticle lift.  The trade off for much smaller areolas and a much better shape is the verticle scar which usually heals very well.  My advice is to strongly consider a lift.  Look at the before and after photos in the link below. The scar fades over time and the nipples can be resized more completely.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Can the Areolas Be Resized Without Having a Lift?

+2

Yes, if that is all you want it is quite easy to reduce the areola diameter. There is no reason to do any further vertical or other scars unless you want a true lift.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Areolar reduction surgery

+2

Your areolas are wide and they can be reduced, this would also give you a small breast lift.  It is important to only excise areolar skin.  This is commonly referred to as a doughnut mastopexy.   The only problem can be some continued stretching of the areola over time due to the size of the implants but this is your only option if you are dissatisfied with the size.  

Resizing areolas

+1

Your overall breast harmony, matching the size and areolas cannot be improved without some type of periareolar procedure...this will reduce the diameter of the areolas and also reorient their position higher on the breast itself...this "periareolar mastopexy" would leave a scar around your areola, but would provide a much better overall appearance...

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction Surgery

+1

Your areolas can be reduced in size by a technique known as a circum-areola mastopexy.  This will reduce the size of your areola and slightly lift your breasts at the same time.  The key to this surgery, also known as a Benelli mastopexy, is a permanent suture at the outside of the areola at the areola breast-skin juncture.  This surgery differs from a doughnut mastopexy in the placement of a permanent suture, but also in the fact that there is undermining of the skin of your breast to allow lifting and repositioning the skin, which will then allow the excess skin to be removed and re-draping of the remaining breast skin.  I was awarded a prize for the best video-tape in plastic surgery several years ago with reference to the Benelli mastopexy.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction Candidate?

+1

Areola reduction  involves  circumferentially removing areola  skin  around a smaller areola design. This procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia. It is often  done as part of a brest augmenation/lift,  breast lift or  breast reduction  procedure, but can be done as a standalone procedure.

You should be aware that despite best efforts scarring will be visible and potentially abnormal ( possibly thick, raised and/or pigmented).  Some areola  asymmetry may also  be present after surgery.   Their  is  a small chance that you may lose sensation.
As with all plastic surgical procedures, you must weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks/complications  while making these decisions.

Areola Reduction Procedures

+1

Enlarged or asymmetric areola can be reduced or made more symmetric with or without breast lift or breast reduction procedures.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Areola resizing without a breast lift

+1

Yes, it possible to decrease the size of the areolas without the added verticle or horizontal (inframammary) scars of a breast lift.  However, there is a limit as to how much smaller the aroelas can be made without resulting in puckered effect around the areola.  Depending on your  skin tone and expectations this may be a reasonable alternative to a breast lift with added scars.  Check with a board certified plastic surgeon to help you determine which option may be best in your case.  Best Wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Areola issues

+1

With larger implants the areola spread more.  These are quite large for your breast.  An areola reduction can be performed. You  may also wnat to consider a lift as necessary based upon a full exam.  Good luck.

Areolar Reduction and Leveling

+1

Since you are specifically asking about areolar reduction without a lift, that could be accomplished by a periareolar or donut reduction. That would need to be done with a more asymmetric excision on your right side to hopefully get the areolar levels a little more even.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD