Is the Area in This Photo Under the Jaw Considered the Area for Lower Face Lift or for Neck Lift? (photo)

I don't know which procedure to ask for. I am 46. I have a special event to be at the first week of Sept and have heard lower facelift is a fairly easy recovery but wasn't sure if I would look out of balance if I had that done without a mid-face procedure (which I am hesitant to do right now because of its longer recovery.) I know this is a few questions but I hope you don't mind addressing each of them

Neck Lift Is Best Solution For Excess Skin Under Chin

+4

Thank you for your question.  The area of loose skin under your chin also likely has some subcutaneous fat causing the fullness.  A neck lift with fat removal beneath the chin would improve the area that is troubling you beneath your chin.

However if you would like the loose skin on the jaw line and around the mouth tightened a lower facelift and neck lift combined would be the best option.

Advice to improve area under chin and neck

+2

A traditional facelift would normally improve the area of the neck and the lower face.  There may be abbreviated procedures that could either address the lower face more or the neck more.  In terms of recovery, I would really give yourself at least two weeks time before you might be presentable after surgery.  Your picture does not show much of your mid face, so it's difficult to comment on that area.  It definitely is possible to perform a facelift without doing anything to the mid face and still have the face not look out of balance.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower facelift versus neck lift

+2

A lower face and neck lift is a comprehensive procedure that involves tightening facial and neck skin, removal of the jowls and tightening of the neck muscles and removal of fat  in the neck.   A neck lift will only involve removal of fat  in the neck area. Please see the link below to our photo gallery for neck lift only, and lower face/neck lift. Patients need to 2-3  weeks of recovery prior to a special event

Lower or higher?

+2

Most of the time if a patient has reached the age where he/she needs a lower face lift they would also benefit from the upper portion of the procedure to address the upper face (jowls). The eyelids are usually close behind. It is technically, and surgically, easier to do both upper and lower face  at the same time. Recovery time is usually 7-10 days regardless and is more dependent on the surgeons knowledge and gentle hand coupled with the cooperation of the patient, i.e. (can you chill out, not move,stay elevated, keep your blood pressure low for the first 48 hours?).   

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lower Facelift will also help the neck improve

+2

Hello there, looking at your picture it looks like you would indeed be a good candidate for a lower facelift that extends down into the neck area to help improve your areas of concern.

A necklift by itself would also be helpful but I think that you would need some sort of pull up towards your ears (a vertical vector) to really help the area under your neck and your jaw line. This would keep everything in harmony.

I think you are pushing it if trying to have any surgery before an event the first week of September. While an isolated necklift procedure is quick recovery and the stitches are hidden along the back of the ear and hairline, you may have some bruising and swelling that extends down onto your lower neck.

Have an exam in person with an experienced surgeon and your questions will be further clarified as to whether or not a midface lift is indicated for your anatomy and needs.

Dr. J

Kamran Jafri, MD

Which Procedure is Right For You

+1
The lower facelift will tighten the neck muscles, remove the excess neck fat, tighten the neck skin, lift the jowls from the jawline and lift the marionette lines. It will give you a sharper jawline.

A full facelift will achieve everything described above as well as lifting the cheeks and tightening the temple area.

You look like you would do well with a lower facelift.

If you would like more information on the different types of facelifts, please read my book "A More Beautiful You - Reverse Aging Through Skincare, Plastic Surgery and Lifestyle Solutions".

Robert M. Freund, MD

Mid Facelift or Necklift?

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

Yes, the area under the chin is the area addressed by a neck lift. It is difficult to say if you would also require a face lift in addition to the neck without seeing more of your face. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

Face & neck lift options

+1

Based on your pictures, a face and neck lift would help address your lower face/neck.  A necklift or neck lipo alone will address the neck, but will leave you with a young-looking neck and age-changes in the face.  A good facelift will address the mid face through a combination of elevation &/or fat grafting if necessary, but whether or not this would benefit you is impossible to tell based on your pictures.

At 2 weeks, the worst of the swelling of a facelift should be gone, but at conversational distances, people will be able to tell you've had surgery.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Facelift or neck lift

+1

Sorry, but with the limited photo, it is difficult to say. In general if you have jowl issues a neck lift alone will not treat that.

How to improve chin and neck

+1

Thank you for asking about your chin and neck

1. Your photo suggests early jowls, loose neck skin and fat.
  2. A lower face and neck lift is likely to be your best procedure.
  3. A lower face and neck lift does not have to be done with a mid-face lift.
  4. Recovery is 2 weeks on average. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD